Chapter Fifteen

Present day

The flight got into Paris at six thirty that afternoon. Amber and Marie walked straight to the luggage hall and waited with the rest of the flight. Marie fidgeted with her purse, passing it from one hand to the other and trying not to make eye contact with Amber. She had spent the entire flight talking about Sydney, without a thought for Marie's feelings, and it was now like Marie hadn't been her lover for an entire year. It felt like they hadn't woke up that morning in bed together. Marie had been shafted into the friend zone and she couldn't bear it.

She didn't know what she had been thinking, forcing herself on this trip with Amber. What had she expected from it? She wasn't sure, but she hoped that Sydney was married or had a gaggle of six or seven kids. Although, in the picture Carol had sent through to Amber it was clear she wasn't a worn down and bedraggled mother of many.

Marie hated to think it, but damn it Sydney was beautiful. She hadn't really thought about her much before now, well, apart from the first and only time Amber had mentioned her when they had first become friends eighteen months ago. Marie had felt so sad for Amber to have lost her partner so young, and she had envied Sydney for the life she had shared with her. The way that Amber described her, it was mesmerising, and it was when Marie first began to soften and find Amber attractive. Amber wasn't the typical sad and lonely widow, she was on the prowl, and Marie enjoyed the chase. The dark and brooding Amber she had found was mysterious and irresistible. She had to have her, she just hadn't bargained on falling in love with her.

Amber leant down and lifted the case from the luggage belt. "Well that's mine... just yours now" She said, turning to Marie who was deep in thought.

Marie dazed, turned towards her. "Sorry?"

"I said that's my case now... just yours, what colour was it?" Amber asked, with frustration in her tone.

"Okay, if you're gona get pissy then you can go figure out getting a cab. I'll wait for my bag here" She turned away and folded her arms, watching the luggage revolve around her. She felt Ambers hand on her shoulder and her breath on her ear as she leant forward.

"I'm sorry" Amber whispered, before starting to walk away and dragging her bag along behind her.

Marie reached out and grabbed her elbow. "I love you Amber"

Amber turned, only hesitantly, about to say something but she thought better of it and smiled and walked towards the exit. Marie's face screwed up and she slammed her hand into her forehead. "Stupid stupid stupid" She repeated.

Marie had no idea why she did that to herself, she had made herself vulnerable and put herself in a position that she could only lose from. Marie had never been in this position as the underdog and it certainly wasn't sitting right with her. "I really hope this Sydney chick has gone home" she whispered to herself, before leaning down and grabbing her purple luggage. She lifted it and pulled it to its feet. She walked towards the exit as quick as she could in her high heels, clicking away as she went.

Amber was sat on her bag by the cab pick-up point when Marie finally found her. "Listen I'm sorry about what I said back there. I didn't mean to make this awkward" Marie apologised, sitting her luggage next to Ambers.

"You mean more awkward then this situation already is" Amber asked "I don't think anything could make this more awkward. I just want to get to the hotel. I'm tired and I need to try and find her"

"Understood" Marie said, standing up to nod the cab driver over. They both grabbed their luggage and put them into the trunk with the help of the driver.

"Bonjour" He greeted. They both smiled and nodded as he opened the door so they could get into the backseat. "Where to?" He asked, settling himself into his seat.

"Hotel Marigold" Amber replied.

"Okay" He replied, pulling away from the curb

Amber grabbed her purse and reached inside for her hand mirror, looking at her reflection she assessed her tired eyes, dark shadows falling beneath them in circles, and her usual flawless complexion looked tired from the flight. She grabbed her concealer and began to gently smooth it over the dark circles before applying the rest of the contents of her make up bag. She put the makeup back into her bag and used the mirror to brush through her long locks. Marie watched her every movement with jealousy, she knew why Amber was perfecting herself, and it wasn't for her. It was for Sydney. Marie reached out and handed Amber her lip gloss.

Amber looked back to her with confusion. "What's that for?" She quipped.

"To complete your make over" Marie shot back.

"Are you kidding me, you're jealous. I'm potentially seeing my wife for the first time in five years so excuse me if I don't want to look like crap" Amber argued, putting away her mirror.

Marie looked out the window towards the lights of the city which were now coming into view. "Marie please don't be like this. I need you" Amber begged.

Marie felt guilt rising in her gut. She pulled her dark hair behind her ear and faced Amber.

"I know. I'm sorry I just keep remembering"

"Remembering what?" Amber asked.

"That you're not mine" Marie whispered, turning her attention back to the lights outside the window.

Amber watched her with mixed emotions. She wished Marie hadn't come on this trip. What was she thinking, allowing it? It had been over a year and Amber had never thought much about her relationship with Marie. It sort of just happened and it felt good. She wished she had thought about it a lot deeper. Amber had let Marie fall in love with her without realising it, she was now feeling guilty and ashamed for letting her get so close. Amber turned away and looked to the road ahead. She couldn't let her feelings take over, because she only had one focus and that was to find Sydney.

Amber placed her hand down on the seat between them. Marie without even looking laid her hand over Ambers, giving it a little squeeze. They each kept their attention elsewhere, not acknowledging the action, but both of them knew the other was sorry. Without even realising it both women had fallen into a co dependant relationship. They knew each other's body language as if second nature now, and no words were required.