Chapter 8: Waterlogged

I stared at the canopy above the bed, begging my body for sleep. My muscles ached with the need for it. But my mind would not settle.

Drip.

Somewhere in Polly's house, a leaky faucet was bent on stealing my sanity. The sound was faint, but I couldn't put it out of my mind. It might as well as have been a jackhammer for how it bore into my brain.

You're being ridiculous, I told myself, dragging my hands through my tangled hair. Just let it go! I rolled over and pulled my pillow over my head. Luc was beside me, asleep and completely unaware of my agony. I focussed on the rise and fall of his chest as I counted my own breaths. Inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale—

Drip.

I lurched up, panting and wild-eyed. I was going to hunt down that drip, and do whatever I needed to make it stop, even if I had to tear that damned faucet out of the wall with my bare hands. Throwing my covers off, I leapt from the bed and headed for the ensuite bathroom.

My fingers found the switch and light filled the small room. My eyes ached as I glanced around the room, searching for the damned drip. But I found the sink dry, as well as the shower.

Drip.

I snarled in frustration. God, where was it coming from?! This monstrous house had at least five bathrooms. Or was it six? I could never remember. I hope I don't have to search this whole damn place, I thought as I headed back into the bedroom and out into the hall.

It was cold out there. My skin immediately erupted in goosebumps. I pulled my arms around me and quickened my pace, eager to return to the warmth of my bed and Luc.

Drip.

The sound came much louder now, loud enough to stop me in my tracks. Each drip echoed off the walls like I was in some deep, dank cave. It smelled damp too...

The dripping only grew in volume as I continued down the hall, towards the foyer. I stopped again as I reached the upper landing, where the hall opened onto the stairs, and strained my ears to find which direction it was coming from.

Drip.

It sounded close... too close. There was no water supply nearby; both bathrooms on this level were at either end of the hall. So where was the dripping coming from?

Then I looked down, into the foyer... and gasped.

The entire bottom floor had been flooded. Books, papers, and lighter furniture floated lazily by in the murky water, water that had already risen past the baseboards and lapped against the walls.

My mind began to race with panic. Had a pipe burst or something? I froze in place as began making a frantic list of what needed to be done. I needed to call a plumber. I needed to call Polly. And I had to go get Luc...

Just as I was about to run back to the room and wake him, I heard a splash. I turned back, gripping the railing and leaning over to get a closer look.

The water had begun to churn and slosh about like something was moving in there.

That's impossible, I told myself, but that didn't stop the chill from crawling up my neck, making all the hairs stand on end. I peered into the darkness of the water, trying to prove to myself that it was just the ebb and flow of the busted pipes.

There was something there, just beneath the surface. Something pale. It was blurred by the dirt, until it rose up and crested the surface. A face. A pale, haggard face with closed eyes and mousy hair drifting out around it.

It was the withered girl from the street.

I sucked a sharp breath in through my teeth. And, as if she heard me, her eyes snapped open.

There was a crack, then railing bent forward and snapped right beneath my hands. I didn't have time to pull back. With a short scream, I tumbled forward, over the edge, towards the water, towards the girl.

+ + +

Don't stop here! There's another chapter waiting... 👀