Chapter Five

It was now a week later, and I was getting ready to go back to work. I couldn't wait to get back into a routine. Most of my bruises and scratches were gone from my face. The huge bruise down my side, however, had only slightly lightened. It still looked angry and was coloured a deep purple. My body still ached, but overall, I felt good. I hadn't heard from Xavier all week, and I wondered if he would do this often; show up and disappear, then appear again like nothing had happened. I shook my head, trying to shake his image from my mind and went about getting ready for work.

I walked to my wardrobe and decided I wanted to wear something pretty today for my first day back in the office.

Even though I never had anyone to impress, I always wore the best underwear, simply because it made me feel good. I pulled out a white lingerie set made of silk. I looked at the time and saw I had fifteen minutes left before I had to set off. I grabbed my makeup bag and applied a little more foundation than usual to cover up the bruises that remained. I decided I wanted to try something different, so I applied a red lipstick over my full lips and looked in the mirror. Yes, this would do.

Even though I was only a web designer, I had to look my best as the company I worked for. Glassfire Web Design had a very elite range of customers.

I grabbed my bag and made my way downstairs, hearing a low whistle from the kitchen.

"Woah, Sophia, I forgot you get even hotter when you get all made up," he said while smirking. I just laughed at his comment and grabbed a granola bar. "I hadn't seen you dress this way since before you had your little vacation!"

I started putting everything I interrupted him again into my oversized black bag before I quickly looked through emails on my phone. I looked up when I heard Caleb speak again.

"Sophia, I won't be here tonight, got a date, and I'm sure you won't want to witness the results if it goes well, which we all know it will. Will you be okay by yourself?" he asked seriously.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks for sticking around and looking after me but I can look after myself now. I'll call if I need you."

Caleb smiled at me and looked at the time on his watch.

"Shit, I'm going to be late for my meeting! Got to run. Be careful in that car. Look out for rich dicks running you off the road and don't forget your seatbelt!" he joked while remaining serious as he ran out the door.

All week, he had been telling me to watch myself in my new car, which I hadn't driven yet, and I had to admit I was nervous to drive it today. I grabbed my keys and decided I should set off myself. I made my way down to the ground floor and saw my new car sitting there, practically calling my name. I raced up to it and unlocked it, sliding into the driver's side with ease. I placed my bag on the passenger seat and noticed a sticky note stuck to my steering wheel.

"Enjoy the car and be careful. There's not just me who's reckless on the road. XM."

I pondered the note for a minute before I smiled and took it off the steering wheel before placing it in the planner in my bag. It was a meaningless note, but somehow I found it cute and wanted to hold onto it. I clipped in my seatbelt before I started up the car and made my way to work slowly. I was kind of scared that someone would crash into me, but I knew it would be a while before I got used to driving again.

I sagged in relief into my office chair. It was only lunchtime, and I was exhausted! I had so much to catch up on because of all the time off I had. My boss, Heather Daniels, had me meet up with three of the most important clients wanting new websites for their business ventures. They wanted so much done and simply thinking about it made me tired.