Chapter 3

*Present day*

I was awakened by the sun shining through the thin sheets that acted as curtains. I wanted nothing more than to return to my dream. I dreamt that me and my best friend Marisa were window shopping like normal people our age. I missed her. I hadn't been allowed to see her for the last year because John thought that I was telling her what went on in his house. Sometimes I wished that I was her. She was beautiful, blonde, successful, and more importantly, happy. Of course like any good best friend she was concerned about my current way of living, she always had been. I had never lost touch with her, even though I never finished high school after John bought me. She had left me with a card the last time I saw her with her address on it and I always kept it somewhere I knew John wouldn't find it. I always said that one day I would find the strength to leave him but I was too afraid of what he would do if he ever found me again. I didn't want anyone else to get hurt.

Well what are you gonna do now that you have another life to worry about? You need to leave.

I knew that I needed to leave soon. I even had a bag packed just in case I ever built up the courage to actually leave. I knew that leaving while John was at work, that would be the easiest way. I'm leaving today I just need to get a little more rest before I do. I didn't realize how much of a mistake that was until it was too late.

I was awakened by a deep, angry voice yelling my name. I jumped up in alarm and looked frantically around the bedroom, the dark bedroom, I had overslept. Shit. My eyes landed on a very angry looking John. He had a wad of papers in his clenched fist and he shook them in my direction.

"Do you know what this is?"

I had no idea why I would know what was in those papers.

"N-No, I don't."

He quickly walked over to me and shoved the papers in my hand. I looked down at them and my heart dropped. The name of the clinic that I had gone to yesterday was printed in big bold type at the top, and as I read further down I saw it. The results of my pregnancy test. My positive pregnancy test. Oh Shit.

"Whose is it?"

I knew I couldn't lie, it would only make him angry. So I gathered all my strength and told the truth.

"Yours."

That single word ended up being a very big mistake. Before I knew it he had knocked the papers out of my hands and had grabbed me up by my hair and put me about an inch away from his face.

"You lying whore! Who have you been fucking you little slut!"

I was too afraid to answer but this only angered him more. And he shook me as he repeated his question.

"Answer me bitch, who the fuck have you been whoring around with?"

I cried out when he yanked harder on my hair.

"No one! Just you!"

"Bullshit!"

I saw stars as he landed punch after punch onto my already bruised face. While I was down on the floor he dealt several kicks to my torso and I wrapped my arms around myself in an attempt to protect my stomach. He kept yelling but the pounding of my heart drowned him out. He grabbed me up by my hair again and dragged me out of the room and towards the stairs. I kept screaming for him to let me go.

"You want me to let you go! You want me to let you go! Fine!"

He grabbed me by my shoulders and launched me down the stairs. I screamed as I went down and did my best to protect my stomach on the way down.

I'm gonna die.

These were the only words that went through my head as I tumbled down the stairs. The only sounds were my terrified screaming and his manic laughter. I hit the ground with a loud thump and a cry of pain. I heard his heavy boots slowly thump down the creaky steps that he had just thrown me down. I was in so much pain. He's going to kill me this time he's so angry. I picked my face up off the floor.

"You wanna be a whore? Fine. I'm about to treat you like one slut!"

Thinking back on it, it'd have been better if he'd killed me.