Chapter 9

He was as well dressed as he had been at the restaurant that night. Tonight he had on a navy blue suit with a white shirt and a deep red tie. His cerulean blue eyes looked around the room, but his face held a neutral expression. I was so busy staring at him that it took me by surprise to hear his deep voice.

"What the hell happened in here?"

Cameron spoke up first.

"That's what I called you here for."

"To help clean?"

He sounded both annoyed and slightly amused at the prospect of cleaning up the mess.

"No, I have people coming tomorrow to deal with this. But the person who did this is why I called you."

"What were they looking for?"

"Not a what, a who. Ana, come here."

I had been slightly hidden behind Marisa the entire time but now all eyes were on me. I slowly made my way to Cameron, all too aware of a certain pair of blue eyes on me the entire time. When I reached Cameron, he placed his hands on my shoulders in a comforting gesture.

"Ana, this is my best friend and your new bodyguard, Alexander Rush, Alex this is my best friend, Anastasia Hills."

His blue eyes remained on my face while the introductions were being made and it was making me nervous.

"Who are you running from?"

It took me a second to realize that his question was being directed at me. I looked up at Cameron to ask if it was okay that he knew, he nodded.

"My husband."

I hated calling him that but I wasn't sure what else I could label him as. I placed my hands on my belly, which was a way I discovered that gave me comfort. I saw his eyes flash down to where my hands were and he directed his next statement to me.

"You're pregnant."

I nodded.

"I'll help you."

I was actually quite shocked to be honest. I didn't think it would be this easy. He made a gesture to Cameron that indicated that he wanted to talk to him alone.

While they talked I turned to a teary eyed Marisa and held my arms out for a hug. She hugged me as close as my belly would allow.

"I'm going to miss you so much Ana."

"I'm going to miss you too.'

"Promise me you'll call often, and let me know when you go into labor, I want to be there. And please keep safe, I need you to help keep my mouth in check."

I nodded my head and at this point we were both crying, but laughing. She handed me a small duffel bag.

"I know it's not much but it's all I had that you could fit, but we'll go shopping soon you still need stuff for the baby."

I nodded, unable to speak once again.

"Come on, let's go down to the car."

I followed her downstairs, taking the elevator this time. There was a sleek, black sports car sitting on the curb.

"Marisa, there is no way I'm going to be able to get into that."

She only laughed in response. We stood there, silently, for a moment and the fancy car gave a soft beep, indicating that it had been unlocked. Marisa opened the door and gave me on last hug before she was replaced by Cameron.

"Stay safe, okay?"

"Yes dad."

He let out a laugh and helped me ease into the car. Alexander had gotten in on his side and started the engine when Cameron squatted down in front of me.