Chapter 10: SDM

Sean’s POV:

I woke up with the smell of rotten eggs mixed with decaying road kill in my nostrils. Pulling my pillow over my face I tried to go back to sleep but the smell wouldn’t let me.

            “Thank God he’s awake!” Someone said from across the barracks. Pulling my pillow away I sat up slightly to see every window open, every fan going full blast and everyone was seated on the other side of the barracks away from me.

            “What happened? What’s that smell?” I asked confused. They all looked to one another then back to me.

            “It’s you dude.” Cole said through the shirt tied around his mouth and nose.

            “Me?” I asked sitting up even more. As I did so the odor got stronger. I could feel myself gagging a bit from it.

            “What he hell happened last night?! Was I sprayed by a skunk?!” I asked somewhat panicked. There had to be a reason why I smelled like a freaking corpse?

            “We wish you were. At least that’s a smell we could deal with. It’s that ointment you had to use last night on your back.” Cole said moving closer to the opened window. Standing from the bed I almost fainted from the smell. It lingered around me like a creepy old guy in the women’s underwear department. Grabbing my gear I ran for the showers.

            “We’re gonna burn your sheets okay!” Someone yelled out.

            “Do it!” I shouted back turning on the water. I just hoped the fire could kill that beast and no one else was hurt. It took me almost an hour but I finally got rid of the smell. When I went back into the barracks I had a fresh mattress, sheets and pillow.

            “Wait, let’s do a smell test.” Avery said his face mask still in place as he approached me. I waited as they all gathered around nervously looking to one another then to me.

            “On the count of three, masks down and breathe in.” James instructed. I stood there wet in a scratching towel as my barrack mates all smelled me in unison.

            “Thank the Lord! He doesn’t reek anymore.” Oscar shouted ripping the scarf around his neck off. Grinning I went to my locker and got dress. It wasn’t until I pulled on my shirt did I realize I didn’t feel any pain.

            “It worked.” I said sitting down on my bunk.

            “What worked?” Xavier asked peering down from his bunk above me.

            “That ointment. Last night I couldn’t inhale without pain now I don’t feel it at all.” I explained tugging on my boots.

            “Be that as it may we can’t let you use that shit again. It’s not a great way to wake up in the morning. Especially when you sleep in the top bunk.” He said. I had to agree there. All the while I joke around with the guys about the offensive ointment I couldn’t help but notice one face missing from the crowd. Where is Dover?

Dover’s POV:

I had to get out of there before Sean woke up. I could still see him exploding everywhere and with that image burned into my brain I wouldn’t be able to speak coherently around him. I wandered around the base not really paying attention where I was going. It wasn’t until I heard my name did I realize I’d ended up in the family center.

            “Hey Julie.” I said greeting the receptionist behind the counter. She swung her fiery curls back from her face and beamed at me.