Chapter 42

Twirling around I arched my back trying to get a good look to ensure the dress didn't have any embarrassing wrinkles, or god forbid rips in the back. The dress had been hanging in the closet for a while, and since I refused to allow Alaricus to get me another while I had countless I hadn't worn yet, I needed to ensure there was nothing wrong with it. The last thing a human mate like myself needed was to go out in front of many Alphas who'd look down at her while mis-dressed. Turning back around I smoothed the dress down from my waist, my fingers slipping over the soft satin of the dress and I revelled in the smoothness of it. I hoped my bold choice of a rich red coloured gown was appropriate.

"You look beautiful." His warm velvety voice sounded from the door. I looked up at him through the reflection of the mirror. My heart rate picking up in my chest and I whirled around to get a better look.

Alaricus looked like a true king, dressed in an all black three piece suit, tailored so finely it seemed to be stitched while on him. His raven hair styled back neatly but absolutely no gel appeared to be present, just the way I liked it. A man's hair should make you want to rake your fingers through it without getting gel in your nails. There was something a little different about him today, I could sense it even with the distance between us. Something almost darker, more powerful. Normally Alaricus was very genuine and affectionate but there was nothing casual about the man who stood in my door.

Grabbing the rose flower head from my dresser I made my way towards him, getting on my tiptoes I placed my hand on his chest to steady myself. A small smile coming to my lips as I heard his breath hitch, looking up to find his honey eyes gazing down at me intensely. I placed my palm flat towards the right of his broad chest feeling his heart pump rapidly under my touch, quicker than the soothing rhythm to which I fell asleep every night.

I tucked the flower into his pocket carefully keeping my gaze locked on his, satisfied that we now matched at least a little.
"You truly look like an angel." Alaricus whispers huskily.
"And you look like my king." I say making that adorable dimple appear on his cheek as he grins at me, his honey eyes glinting possessively as he wraps his arm around my waist pulling me to him tightly.

Alaricus' eyes fell to my red painted lips making my breathing laboured as he leaned down slowly, capturing my mouth with his own. There was a certain domination, a possessiveness to his kiss, but there was nothing suffocating about it, the way he kissed me was exhilarating. A king's desire for his queen rising to surface.

My toes curled against the hardwood of the floor as I melted into his embrace, matching his passion with my own. I move my lips against his, nudging my nose against his playfully as I feel his hands clench onto my waist, but even in his passion he's careful not to hurt me. The kiss was getting too deep, and we didn't have time at the moment. Curling my hand into the nape of his hair, I hold his head steady as I move my mouth away from his, my subconsciously closed eyes opening to see him jutting out his lips, looking for mine. I peck them lightly before tapping his hands that are on my waist.

"Our guests have surely started arriving, and it's time we go down to receive them." I say to Alaricus and he frowns but nods making a strand of his hair fall out of place and onto his forehead. Reaching up I tuck it back into place, fixing his hair with my fingers and he leans into my touch.
"Stand straight." I scold him making him smile.

"I think my suit's a little crumpled too." Alaricus says and I run my hands over his blazers surface, straightening it out for him tugging at the ends of it to make it sit right again.

"My face?" Alaricus says leaning down towards me and I narrow my eyes at him.
"You just want me to touch you don't you?" I ask and he nods with a childish grin making me laugh, leaning up I press a soft kiss to his stubble covered cheek.
"Perfect." I whisper against his skin hearing him swallow thickly.