Enders (19)

I had mixed feelings about returning to the DAU. Of course, it was the place I felt like I belonged, and I wanted to see Dex more than anything. But I really wasn't in the mood to deal with Aiden and his attitude again.

Though I wanted to see Dex, I was a little nervous to. I'd abandoned him to finish my journey on my own, and though I did it with his wellbeing in mind, I wasn't so sure he'd see it that way. I didn't know how hurt or angry he was. And I didn't really want to find out.

I'd texted Hank and Nay in advance to let them know that I was on my way back. I had turned my phone off so that there would be no way for Dex to track me down once I'd left him, and I was sure that didn't make Hank and Nay very happy since they had told me to contact them at least once every day. But I needed to make sure Dex stayed safe.

They arranged for me to be picked up at the same train station I had been dropped off at when my journey began. I was picked up by men wearing the same suits as the men who had questioned us as Dex's mother's house. The ride home was awkward and silent, but it wasn't like I was expecting for them to strike up a conversation with me. I wasn't really interested in talking, anyway.

They dropped me off at the familiar front gate, but I didn't get out of the car right away. It felt like it had been so long since I'd been there, yet it'd only been a few weeks.

Being handed my duffle bag, I was ushered out of the car. My boots crunched through the snow as I made my way closer to the gate, pressing my hand against the palm scanner so I would be allowed inside.

The gate opened and I trudged inside, the car rolling away behind me. I didn't know where they were going, and I didn't care. There were so many different buildings in the DAU that I didn't even know about, even after being there for over a year. The building we trained and slept in was just one building of many.

As I made my way closer, I saw that there was someone leaning against the closed front door, arms crossed over their chest as they waited. Once I was close enough to see who it was, I stopped dead in my tracks.

It was cold out, and it was snowing, but there he was, dressed in jeans and a plain jacket. Not enough to warm him in this cold weather. But I was used to Dex not really thinking before he decided to do something.

"What are you out here?" I gaped, ready to pull off my heavy coat and wrap it around him if I needed to. If it even would have fit. "You're going to get sick!"

Ignoring my worrisome complaints, he pushed himself up from his spot as he said, "You were coming back."

"And you couldn't just wait inside like everyone else?"

"I wanted to be the first to see you."

Any response I had died in my throat. Dex's green eyes were soft as they locked with mine, and it felt like time stood still. We could have been there for seconds, minutes, hours, days. It all felt the same to me.

Finally, I found my voice. "I'm sorry for just... leaving," I apologized.

He shook his head. "I'm sorry for letting you go."

"Dex..." I frowned.

"You know the four of us can't get anywhere without you," he stated, and even though his tone was honest, and sincere, I still didn't believe that. "We need you."

"Dex..."

"I need you."

I felt at a complete loss for words. Dex normally wasn't so open about his feelings, so I didn't know what I was supposed to say in response to him. I felt like there was nothing I could say to him, while at the same I felt like there was so much.