Chapter 14- Charlie's Diner

Everly

A week has passed since I arrived at White River. I find myself down at the river's edge, walking the bank and daydreaming. I do this often. I find solace near the water and enjoy exploring this land.

My homeland.

I bend down and touch the crisp, cool water as it flows downstream. Listening to the gurgling sounds the river makes as the water washes over rocks, I take a deep breath and close my eyes. I hear the call of birds echoing through the trees. Opening my eyes I stare at the changing leaves. Hues of yellow, orange, and red are scattered along the hillside across the river. Large rock formations jut out along the cliffs and reverberate the sounds of the water's churning flow. The heavy, morning mist clings to the treetops as the sun has not yet awoken enough to burn it all away. I tighten my borrowed sweater around my body as the brisk fall air penetrates my layers of clothing.

It still blows my mind that this is where I was born and where I spent the first few years of my life. My memories are few and jumbled up in such a way that I cannot decipher between what is true and what is make-believe. I have spent time discussing my past with Charlie, Beverly, and Jack. Finding out that our families have lived on this land for centuries. Beverly shares stories of her and my mom and I discover a different side to momma. A version of her that I wish she was and fear I'll never know. One morning, over coffee, Beverly explains how she inspired my name...

"I am the reason you have your name," Bev says before taking a sip from her steaming cup.

Intrigued, I lean forward, "What do you mean?"

Smiling, Bev places her cup down and explains, "Your mom had the hardest time saying, 'Beverly' when we were kids. It came out sounding like 'Everly'. When we got older, I would tease her and she would pretend to be hurt. But then she'd tease me back saying that Everly was such a prettier name and that one day she would bestow it upon her future daughter. In my honor, of course," she laughs.

I spend time with Mason and Micah too. We don't discuss their parents, but I can't help and hug them each time I see them. Not out of pity, but out of love. I get to know the men they have grown into. Mason, more willing to share his past, quickly becomes my "go to guy" for fun and laughter. His light-hearted outlook on life is contagious and I always leave him feeling better about myself and the world. Micah, more stoic in his demeanor, stiffens whenever I hug him but at least he doesn't pull away. I know he is haunted by his past. I learn that he served in the military and lost close friends while fighting overseas. My heart aches when I catch him staring off into nothingness with darkness flitting his eyes.

Trent was not here when I was a child, so I have no memories to pull from. However, I try to get to know him. Quickly learning that it is a losing battle. I feel fortunate if he returns my morning greetings with a grunt. Although he doesn't return my kindliness, I know that he would be there for me if I ever needed him.

Unlike Trent, Zeke was here when I was a child. I have one memory of him. One simple memory of child-me interacting with child-Zeke and I can't help but smile when I think about how adorable we were. As if I thought him to life, man-Zeke stands beside me, "There you are. I've been looking for you."

I look up at his chiseled face and smile, "You found me."

Laughing, Zeke looks out to the water, "What is it about this river that you find so intriguing? You've been out here every day for the past week."

"I don't know. I have memories of being here. Playing with you guys. Mason and Micah running in front of me and you and Danny trailing behind. My memories aren't a clear picture and I think I am blending them with my dreams. I'm not sure."