Chapter 37- Love & Magic

Everly

"Good morning, 479 Customs, this is Everly. How may I help you?"

Two weeks have passed since my world completely turned on its axis. Two weeks of studying my element, acquainting myself with my wolf, and adjusting to the knowledge of Zeke being my mate.

If all that wasn't enough, I've begun working at Trent's shop. Thea was able to heal him but the two have remained tight-lipped as to what exactly happened in that bedroom. When Thea and CeCe walked into the den that night, Thea looked exhausted as she plopped down next to Bel on the couch. Bel quickly handed her sister a bar of dark chocolate with a brief explanation that it helped Thea reenergize after a healing session. After that night, I dedicated myself to accepting my fate. Seeing Trent, my friend, suffering, from an injury he attained while trying to protect me, put things in perspective.

Who am I kidding? The past two weeks have been an uphill battle full of struggle and failure.

It has been fourteen days of epic failure in my water element training. Every afternoon I meet with the shaman-duo to try and control my powers. I learned quickly, however, that my evaporation magic was a mere parlor trick compared to the other lessons I must master. So far, I've nearly drowned CeCe, frozen Doc's hands, and dehydrated myself. To help me focus, my two mentors have me on a routine that includes: hydration, meditation, and yoga twice a day. Their reasoning is that I must center my being in order to operate my gift fully. My being, including the animal inside my head.

Accepting my wolf has been easier than I initially assumed it would be. Probably due to the fact that she's always been there, so like an itch you don't realize you have until you scratch it, releasing her has been somewhat of a relief. It has been fourteen days of letting my wolf out to show her the property and scents of the pack, learn how to shift quickly, and become physically aware of her strength. The reality though is that my wolf would rather chase snowflakes and birds than learn to fight. Whenever Micah spars with my wolf, she runs. Mason and Danny try to help, but usually, Mason just wants to play and Danny's wolf refuses to fight me, even if it's just for practice. Zeke will sit on the sidelines and watch. When Micah and I finish our workout, Zeke will sprint past us and my wolf gives into the chase. I follow Zeke and we play.

Lastly, I've had two weeks of growing closer to Zeke and seeing him in the eyes of my wolf. Feeling that instinctual bond that we share is a curious and somewhat frightening connection. I still do not completely agree with it, nor do I give in to the primal need to bond with him.

Accepting him as my true mate means that we must go through a ceremony and become blood bound. Bel explained the process to me and what the ceremony would entail. She found me nosing through her bookstore in search of a book on wolves.  Upon her recommendation, I left the shop with five books. Two cover wolf behavior and ecology, while the remaining three are for, as Bel put it, "wolfie fun." She was right too. Terra, Ares, and an interesting story called Wolf & Witch are indeed a lot of fun; providing much entertainment during the lull moments at work.

"Yes, Mr. Monroe, your truck is ready. I'll go tell the guys that you will be picking it up this afternoon. Have a nice day," I end the call and place the receiver back in its cradle. I stand up and stretch my aching muscles. Another aspect of shift life is that we can't shift during the new moon. It's a mystery as to why. Doc and CeCe claim it was a way the Creator tried to maintain balance. All I know is that it leaves shifters lethargic and cranky.

My eyes travel around the room. The once cluttered space is now neat and orderly. Mason set up a new computer with software that will handle everything the business is needing: bookkeeping, appointment management, and invoice tracking. My hard work has even been appreciated by Trent, even if he won't verbally acknowledge his gratitude.