Chapter 5, Rejected

I smirk at Goldy when she finally realizes I'm her hero

She actually grumbles in response and asks: "can this day get any worse?"

"I just saved your life," I defend. The appropriate response for Goldy is to be forever grateful to me and I don't know, be madly in love?

"I had it covered," she growls.

"You were about to get strangled to death"

"That's the best way to surprise your attacker"

"You might have a concussion"

"Can we get me a milkshake? I feel like I deserve a milkshake"

"Are you asking me out on a date?" I ask her with another one of my charming smirks.

The look of horror on her face is priceless. "You wish!" she says.

I glance out of the tinted window when Matt and the twins walk back. The two amateur thugs from the wanna-be North-side gang are nothing more than bloody pulps on the flooded pavement.

Matt climbs into the front seat while the twins get into the seats in front of Goldy and me.

"Man, don't get blood all over the car! I got it cleaned like yesterday!" Sean complains from the driver's seat.

"It's not my fault the guy didn't stop bleeding!" Matt defends.

"That's fair," the twins say in unison.

I turn to Goldy with a satisfied smile. It's clear she's more than a little confused. Being a gentlemen and all, I introduce the inner-gang: "Mister squeaky clean at the drivers seat is Sean. Blood and muscles over there is Matt and these two dim-wits are the twins. Ryan and Bryan.'

"We're not dim-wits!" they both protest.

I roll my eyes and send them a look that says: You asked me what's in Mango-salad like two minutes ago.

I turn back to Goldy, "Now it's your turn. What's your name, Goldy, and why on earth aren't you in school like a good girl?"

Goldy looks around for a second before giving in and answers: "Amber. My name is Amber and I'm not in school because I have bad-luck syndrome."