Chapter 57, Impossible choice

Poison

Poison. Xavier poisoned me... And I know the truth behind his statement as everything blurs around me. I feel off balance and out of place. Like something is taking control of my body and I'm still trying to fight it.

More importantly though, what kind of monster poisons food?! Wine, I can get, but food? Sweet innocent food with-

Get a grip, my voice of reason interrupts.

I try focusing my sight again and have to wait a few seconds before Xavier is just one person and not two. "Well then," I slur, "not only are you going to lose to a girl, but you're going to lose to a poisoned one as well." Feeling like my sentence isn't too clear, because of the poison, I add: "Me. You're just fighting me. That sounded like you were going to fight two people..."

Damn, I wonder how much time I have left and... and if this poison can kill me..? Looking into Xavier's almost glowing poison green eyes and slightly ruffled auburn hair, I know my answer. If this monster can't have me, nobody can...

"Well, let's see what you have, Amber Marigold," Xavier says before lowering down to a fighting stance. I step into mine as well, but I'm all wrong and wobbly.

Focus, my vice of reason whispers. You're not fighting for yourself. You're fighting to keep everyone alive. This is bigger than just you. Focus.

Using every bit of strength I have, I try my best to concentrate. Willing and begging the poison to wait until after the fight. I'm beating this man, even if it means I'll die of the poison. Without a signal, I pounce for Xavier. I need to use every advantage I can to beat him. I'm barely better than Owen and the latter is who knows where. Defeated.

I go straight for a knockout shot - hoping that my bad-luck syndrome will be cured for just a split second. Unfortunately Xavier is quick to dodge my blow and turns to get a jab at my side. I miss that painful hit with no time to spare before getting a gut feeling that Xavier will go for a kick. Sure enough when I jump up, Xavier's powerful swipe passes under me. I land on shaky legs before pulling myself together again and attacking Xavier.