20 :: I'm Bad at Math But This Doesn't Add Up

CHAPTER 20: I'm Bad at Math but This Doesn't Add Up

"So you're telling me that all this time, you've known Kaye Montgomery was co-captain of the soccer team, and you didn't tell me?!" I shouted, not because of anger or anything. Dax's parties tended to be loud. Louie and I were only at the doorway and we already had to yell at each other.

"Everyone at school knows that!" he replied.

"I didn't know that!"

"That's because you don't bother talking to anyone other than me, London or any of the girls you want to sleep with."

"Dude, you could have told me sooner."

We both made our way to the kitchen. Louie was getting nods and pats on the back. Meanwhile, I was just tailing along. I almost forgot that he was one of the school supremes.

"Why?" he asked, as we stopped by the counter. Beers were lining up like tin soldiers beside the fruit punch. Louie took two of the former and passed one to me.

"The mystery girl," I reminded. "She plays soccer, remember?"

"I thought she played FIFA 14."

"Same difference," I scoffed.

Louie snorted back laughter, choking on the beer he was consuming. "No, it's not. FIFA 14's just a video game."

"So? It's virtual but it's still like the real thing."

"Yeah," he said, shrugging, "but that's like saying we're the same because I'm on the varsity basketball team and you play NBA on your console. I mean, if GTA: San Andreas won't make you a gangster, why should FIFA 14 make you a footballer?"

I narrowed my eyes at him. Louie didn't even look threatened. He had a point but he didn't have to gloat about it. So I shook my can of beer, opened the lid and sprayed him.

Louie kept his eyes shut. When the alcoholic drizzle stopped, he wiped the liquid off his face. "You're an asshole."

"Right back at ya."

"Yeah, I guess that's why we're best friends," he chuckled. Louie grabbed a dish cloth and dabbed the beer off his face. "I'm sorry I didn't mention it before but I really thought you knew." Then, he added, "You gotta socialize more."

"I socialize."

"Fucking around doesn't count," he commented.

"Why the hell not?"

Louie rolled his eyes. He scanned the room and then his eyes landed on a specific girl. A blondie by the couch, giggling with her friends. "Melissa," he said, squeezing my shoulder and pointing at Mel. "You've slept with her."

"Uh-huh."

"Tell me what color her eyes are." He crossed his arms.

I tried to steal a glance at Mel, hoping that even how far away she was, I'd be able to catch a glimpse of her eyes. Louie was kind enough to block the view. The asshole.

"Brown," I blurted out.

He narrowed his eyes. "Lucky guess," he stated. "What's her favorite color?"

"Uh... also brown?"

He smirked. "Point made."

"Point taken, asshole."

Louie chuckled. "Her favorite color's blue." He patted my shoulder and made his way towards Melissa.

"How do you even know that?" I called before he got drowned by the crowd.