Grave of Lies

I had reached home. I don't even know how I had done that. It was all a blur. Me leaving the restaurant and finally coming to my apartment. I didn't know how long I had been sitting alone. And I didn't know how much time I had spent crying.

I finally woke up and turned on the lights and looking at the mirror next to the switch, I noticed I looked horrible. My eyes were red and puffy and my cheeks were red and blotchy.

I laughed a bit hollowly at my reflection and walked to the bathroom. After taking a long and hot shower, I called Ingrid. Then changed my mind. Ingrid was not my crutch despite how much I could lean on her when I had a problem.

I started on the muffins on the next day. There were little things that made me happy. This was one of them. The fact that people loved what I did was a real confidence boost.

As I was about to mix the dough, my phone rang. It was Fabian. Automatically, without me realizing it, I was smiling. I noticed it and wiped the smile off. After wiping my hands on a cloth, I picked up the phone and answered it.

"Hello?"

"Denise?" His voice was deep and it made me to shiver. It was amazing how even through the phone, he could have an effect on me.

"Fabian?" Why did we always do this? Answer each other's questions with one word questions or affirmations? But I didn't mind though. It was endearing.

"I... I miss you," I said and from the silence on the other end of the line, I could tell he was shocked.

"I think that's normal. After all, I'm the reason you wake up every morning," Fabian teased and I rolled my eyes with a small smile. I was sure my cheeks were beet red at the moment.

"You are so full of yourself– and please don't make that joke," I hastened to add.

"I wasn't going to," he laughed and from his tone, it was very obvious he had wanted to make it.

"Sure you weren't," I said with a small smile. It was like every time I spoke to him, I had a permanent smile on my face. Was that normal?

And that was exactly what I asked him.

His response was to laugh. "So I make your heart beat really fast?" Fabian teased, still laughing.

I rolled my eyes and said without any heat, "Shut up".

"So that's why you're always blushing around me," he said like he had made a startling discovery.

"I regret telling you this..." I said and he laughed. He was enjoying this way too much.

"Nah. You don't." I smiled at his response. I really didn't.

"What are you doing?"

"Chanting spells for tomorrow's muffins. You?" I said calmly. Too calmly.

"I miss your muffins," Fabian said and I laughed softly. He was so adorable.

"And you don't miss me?" I asked.

"Just a little bit," he said with a nonchalant tone.

"Just a little bit?" I asked.

"Yeah. Maybe less." I laughed and looked at the time and widened my eyes. We had been talking for an hour and thirty minutes. If I didn't hurry, the muffins weren't going to be ready for the next day.

"Fabian? Can we talk later? I need to finish up with the muffins," I explained.

"Sure thing little mate," Fabian replied and I blushed instantly. It was so weird but so endearing hearing him call me his mate. I felt like soaring!