Chapter 7

The early morning light filtered through the window, breaking Jadwa's peaceful post-Subhi prayer slumber. Memories of the blessed Ramadan danced in her mind for over an hour before exhaustion finally claimed her. A call with Abdul, stretching past seven in the morning, lulled her back to sleep on her prayer mat.

A loud knock on the door startled Jadwa awake. She jolted upright, heart pounding, and stumbled towards the source of the interruption. Zara stood at the doorway, a vibrant green lace dress adorned with floral designs, gold jewelry glinting on her neck and hands.

"Here, Mama asked me to drop this since, but you've been sleeping," she said annoyingly while Jadwa rubbed her eyes.

The fragrant scent of burning incense filled the room, a tempting contrast to Zara's impatient tone. Jadwa registered Zara's attire a beautiful light green lace with intricate floral designs, complemented by a cascade of gold jewelry that adorned her neck and hands. "You look amazing" Jadwa mumbled through a yawn.

Ignoring the compliment, Zara plopped down on the bed, her eyes glued to her phone. Jadwa shuffled towards the bathroom, the day's plans stirring within her sleepy mind. Today was the Eid al-Fitr barbecue at her brother Ahmad's house, a celebration marking the end of Ramadan.

After a long bath, she glanced at the clock. Time seemed to be moving at breakneck speed, Eid prayers were just hours away, and she still needed to get ready. Opting for a very natural yet glamorous look, Jadwa expertly applied her makeup, the knowledge gained from countless Youtube tutorials guiding her hand and makeup classes she went to in Jordan. Her eyes sparkled with a newfound confidence as she admired her reflection. The intricate braids created by the henna artist the previous day added a touch of elegance, framing her face and cascading down her back in a loose, stylish ponytail.

A smile tugged at her lips as she admired the way the braids framed her face. Detangling the rest of her hair, she gathered it into a neat ponytail, finishing the look with her favorite gold earrings, bangles, and necklace.

Right on cue, Hanan burst into the room, her infectious energy removing any sleepiness from Jadwa's eyes. "Oh my God, you look so good!" she exclaimed, her eyes wide with appreciation.

Jadwa rolled her eyes playfully. "I Can't decide on what to wear!" Jadwa wailed.

"Help me with my jewelry, I'll help you choose" while Jadwa clasped the delicate necklace around her sister's neck. Between excited chatter and rummaging through clothes, they quickly settled on outfits. While Hanan deliberated over laces, an idea struck Hanan. "Try on the blue!" she exclaimed, drawn to the rich, dark shade.

Suddenly, Ammi entered the room. "Jadwa, you have to hurry and leave. You can't be late for the barbecue. There are also so many guests here you have to greet" Ammi shook her head, a hint of amusement in her voice.

Jadwa, still wrapped in a towel, chuckled at the gentle scolding. With Hanan's help, Jadwa slipped into the fitted blue lace dress. The fabric clung to her curves in all the right places, the deep sapphire color complimented her complexion more than ever. Zara zipped her up the back, and as Jadwa turned around, gasps filled the room.
She looked at the mirror again and truly, the colour complemented her skin tone flawlessly, and the hair peeking out of her head tie framed her face perfectly. Every woman in the room admired her beauty, a unique combination of features that seemed almost surreal.

"Did you get some surgery without telling us?" Zara teased, her question laced with disbelief.

Jadwa laughed, the thought absurd. "What are you even talking about?"

Hannan playfully swatted Zara on the arm. "You're not being serious! Jadwa, you can't leave like this. I'll find a matching veil for you."

Jadwa's heart warmed at Hannan's genuine admiration. "You know I'll always be chasing after you in the beauty department," she confessed, truly believing Hannan and Zara to be the most beautiful girls in the world.

Hannan scoffed at the compliment. "No, please, you don't have to!"

"No, Ya Hannan, I mean it" Jadwa insisted.

Grateful for the veil Hannan offered, Jadwa thanked her sister and they headed downstairs together. The next few hours were a whirlwind of greetings  Baba, his friends, Ammi's friends and sisters, and many others. Stepping outside, the girls posed for a flurry of pictures, and finally, the reason for the endless compliments became clear as Jadwa reviewed the captured images.

The drive to Ahmad's house was filled with laughter and phone calls catching up with friends and family. Upon arrival, Jadwa was speechless. From the luxurious decorations to the perfectly arranged food and desserts, everything exceeded her expectations. Ahmad lived in a beautiful duplex, and the designated barbecue area in his spacious backyard resembled a dream come true. Twinkling fairy lights adorned the space, creating a truly magical atmosphere.

Excitement bubbled within Jadwa as she snapped pictures before entering the house to greet Ahmad and Ameerah.

After greeting her brother and sister-in-law, Jadwa went back outside and found herself drawn to a group of girls chatting animatedly. One, with fair skin and gentle features that seemed vaguely familiar, stood out.

"Girls, this is Anaya," Hanan introduced the girl, clearly shy to talk to new people. The girls greeted her warmly, offering her a seat while Zara poured her a drink.

"Do you remember her?" Hanan asked Jadwa, a curious glint in her eyes.

A flicker of recognition sparked in Jadwa's mind, but the details remained stubbornly out of reach. The chubby, playful child she used to chase through mango groves was replaced by this elegant young woman. "Oh my God, is she the baby I used to play with, Anaya?!" Zara shrieked, drawing unwanted attention.

Jadwa cringed at her sister's boisterousness. "Zara, please" she chided gently, hoping to avoid a scene. Recognizing the name, a faint memory surfaced.

"She's just as old as you are" Jadwa countered and Anaya, shyly smiling, nodded. "Right, Anaya?" Jadwa prompted, trying to piece together the fragmented memories. Anaya's confirmation sent a wave of nostalgic warmth washing over Jadwa.

"I missed you so much, and I am just realizing," Zara continued dramatically, her theatrics earning a roll of eyes from Jadwa.

As the afternoon unfolded, conversation flowed easily between the girls. They reminisced about childhood escapades, swapped stories about university life, and shared dreams for the future. Zara learned that Anaya had recently returned to Nigeria after years spent living abroad.

Suddenly, Ameerah appeared, her face flushed. "Jadwa, we have some guests in the living room. Can you please take this to them?" she asked, gesturing towards a large tray overflowing with desserts. "My friends just came over."

Jadwa readily agreed, her heart skipping a beat as she remembered forgetting her veil in the rush to greet Anaya. She picked the veil and it  brushed against her arms as she balanced the tray, and started walking to the entrance of the house.

Taking a deep breath, she stopped at the entrance where a few people gathered and the space fell silent, turning towards her in a wave of curious gazes.

She quickly rushed into the living room, uttering a warm "Salam" to announce her arrival amidst the two familiar faces, Jadwa spotted him. Her breath caught in her throat.
There, seated on a plush couch, was a handsome man with a glint in his eyes– Muhammad.

VOTE, SHARE AND COMMENT!