Hypocritical

Their silence was deafening. They didn’t say a word. There was a gasp from Bryce’s mom, but that was about it. I was about 10 seconds from losing my mind. The only thing keeping me sane was Bryce and Brit. Brit held my hand tightly, and Bryce had my other hand in his. I could tell he was on the verge of losing it as well. His jaw was clenched and his body ridged.

“Well, I guess a congratulations is in order.” Bryce’s mom said, though she didn’t sound too happy. My heart instantly dropped. I glanced at my mom, hoping she would approve.

She sat back in her seat. She didn’t look happy, but then again she didn’t look mad. I couldn’t tell what she was thinking.

Finally she spoke, “Have you two thought this through?”

“What?” I asked, slightly confused.

“Summer, you are still in high school. Bryce, you’re going to college nearly 3 hours away. I don’t see how this would work out.” She explained.

“But mom, you and dad got married right out of high school. So you’re being very hypocritical right now!” I accused.

“You’re father and I were in a different situation.” She said calmly.

I stood up, and slammed my fist on the table, making Brit jump “Even if you were, this is my life. It shouldn’t matter if mine or Bryce’s education status. We wouldn’t even get married until after a graduate. Not to mention I already plan attending IU myself!”

My mom pondered this for a second. “Well, this is your life. I’ll let you make your own choices.” Was all she said, before she left the table.

My gaze followed her as she walked out of the dining room and into the kitchen. Bryce’s mom offered me a weak smile. “Well congratulations you two. Dinner was lovely.”

~*~*~

I sat on the floor with my knees held against my chest and rested my chin on my knees.

“Well that was a shity reaction.” Brit said, as she hung off the edge of my bed staring at me.

Bryce came up behind me and lifted me into his lap. He snaked his arms around my waist, and hugged me tightly. “Babe, don’t let this get you down. Your mom will come around. She was just shocked and tired from driving all day.” He said reassuringly.

No words of agreement come out of my mouth. No words at all came out of my mouth. I just stared blankly at the wall. What was supposed to be exciting was instantly shot down by my own mother. She was supposed to be happy for me. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment and Vote!