Chapter 23 Dinner

:Ellana:

"Is supper ready?" Jack pokes his head around the corner to look at Atticus.

"Almost, Alpha."

"Good. You can eat with us tonight."

"Alpha, I appreciate it. I really do. But, I don't want to interrupt your family time together, since you rarely see the luna. I also usually just eat after, as you know."

Jack looks at me with hopeless eyes.

I nod at him and raise my eyebrows. I had told him to invite Atticus to eat with him.

"Atticus. You will eat with your alpha."

"Sir, are you-"

"You will sit at the table and eat with us. If you refuse, I will see that as disrespect. What happens when people disrespect the alpha?"

"Of course, Alpha."

Jack nods and walks back into the dining room, sitting down beside me.

Atticus brings out the platters one by one.

I start to rise to help, but Jack clamps my thigh, and whispers, "I swear to fuck. If you get up, you will regret it."

My brows knit together. 

Why doesn't he want me helping?

No answer.

"Oh, brother, this is an awful lot of food. Is more coming?"

Jack grins. "Yup."

"Oh, my Moon Goddess. Why didn't you say something?"

She stands up to help, also, but just then Atticus steps out and says it's the last one.

"Oh me, oh my. You must be an amazing chef, Atticus."

His smile reaches his ears. "I try to make Alpha Jack proud."

Atticus hesitates before sitting down, which earns him a glare from Big Bad Wolf over here.

Jack grabs pork, and we all take that as a "go".

***

We wave bye to Luna Amy and Alpha Sam.

"She was something else..." I admit.

"No kidding," he sighs, closing the door.

Next to leave is Atticus.

"Goodbye, Master Jack. Luna Ellana." He bows his head slightly.

"Why going so soon?" Jack asks, obviously confused.

"My mother is ill. I need to go see her. That is, if you don't mi-"

Jack raised a hand. "Go."

Atticus smiles, pulling on his jacket. He leaves, closing the door behind him.

I start walking towards the kitchen.

"Ellana, we just ate twenty minutes ago."

"I'm a growing woman." I swing open the door and let it close in Jack's face.

At that, he growls in a low voice. "I would appreciate if you wouldn't do that, again."

I boost myself up on the counter so I can reach the top shelf. "I would appreciate it if I did."

"I would rather my nose not to be smashed in."

"I would rather it be." I open the small door, and search for something edible.