[21]

"So you're telling me that you had Mackenzie Daniels in all of her glory in your goddamn bed, and you didn't even touch her tit by accident?"

I roll my eyes at my best friend's astonished face as I take a drink from my milkshake, my eyes scanning the cafeteria for anything remotely interesting for us to talk about. They've been grilling me as much as possible ever since I went out with Mackenzie after practice on Monday, and I've refused to give them a sliver of information over the remainder of the week. I've stayed pretty tight lipped about everything that happened because it's not their business, and I don't need them accidentally saying something to Mackenzie that'll embarrass me.

They got really annoying during third period study hour today, their hanging up on me becoming relentless, so I caved and told them that we went for food and then back to mine for a movie. I immediately regretted the movie part because now they won't shut up about the fact we didn't 'chill' whilst watching Netflix.

Immature children.

"Oh come on, Alex!" Faye says with exasperation, her hand slapping down on her thighs as she looks at me. "We're your best friends! It's stated in the contract that we get to know details."

I shrug my shoulders innocently as I take a long sip of my drink, enjoying the taste of my raspberry milkshake, even if it isn't quite as nice as the ones you can get at Benny's. I haven't had a milkshake in ages, so I take great enjoyment out of sticking one of my fries in it and eating them both at the same time.

The thing is, we didn't even do anything. After we got into bed we both ended up falling asleep, and only woke up because my mom graced us with her presence at half eleven at night, rambling about law. She left after that, and whilst I wished we had done more, I don't think I was in a good headspace considering I nearly cried about my dad never being around.

Kind of a mood killer.

"Details about what?" I hear a familiar voice sound from behind me, and my cheeks flush as I spin to see Mackenzie looking down at me with a smirk on her face and a glint in her grey eyes. Just my luck that she decides to grace us with her gorgeous presence right when we're talking about her, a tray of various items of food balanced delicately in one hand.

Just the sight of her makes a smile form on my face, my cheeks warming about the thought of our text conversations, and discreet interactions at school when nobody is watching. A simple good morning text here, a squeeze of my thigh there, it is driving me crazy because I haven't had a chance to hang out with her properly since she came over to mine. As much as it irritates me, my feelings for the beautiful blonde beside me are forming hard and fast, because I want to be open and honest about the fact I've got her attention, but I'm still far too scared to do anything about it.

"Good afternoon Alex." Mackenzie grins, and I realise I've been caught staring in her general direction.

"Afternoon." I mumble quietly to her. I remove my gaze as she takes a seat beside me at the lunch table, her hair smelling of coconut and her skin of perfume. She looks good today, actually better than good she looks stunning. She's wearing a plain black tee tucked into a pair of distressed jeans, large rips in both knees and a pair of hi-top vans. Her hair is curled and she has a small silver chain hanging around her neck that matches the stud in her nose.

She catches me staring and she smiles, her hand gently squeezing my thigh before clasping with her other hand above the table. The action however brief causes my stomach to erupt in butterflies, my face no doubt bright red as I try to stop the smile blossoming on my face. April's face looks like she's won the lottery, Faye leaning over the table to get closer to Mackenzie like she's going to start spreading the Lord's gospel. "We want to know what you two got up to the other night."