16. Bloodbath

16. Bloodbath

There was no need to announce that it was safe, or to officially begin the Games by saying, "Let the One-hundred and seventh annual Hunger Games begin!" We had been doing this for a little over a century, tributes knew when it was time to take what they saw, or run away into the woods, avoiding the bloodbath that was about to take place.

It seemed like we all jumped off our platforms as one, because we all got to things in an instant. I grabbed what packs were closest to me, shooting straight for the mouth of the silver horn. I huffed, hearing the screams and battle cries around me already. I tossed the packs as far as I could near the mouth. After, I dived back out into the field to scrounge for a weapon. I saw a dagger which I lunged for, but it was snatched up by the girl from 9. I punched her and took the dagger for my own.

Wielding a weapon now, I jumped into the fray. Some things were such a blur that I couldn't tell what was going on, or who was who. Someone tackled me from behind, choking me. I stabbed their hand with the dagger. They yowled and I rolled onto them. I jumped and saw Aubrey and Jenna jumping out of the mouth of the Cornucopia with an array of knives and a machete.

The boy from 5 charged for me, but he was taken down by an arrow lodged in his neck. He fell at my feet. I looked around for the source but got shot myself, in the leg. I screeched, dislodging the arrow from my leg. Fresh blood clung to the arrowhead. I gritted my teeth. Whoever shot me was going to feel my dagger in their heart.

I limped forward to try and sink my dagger into tribute flesh, but Aubrey pushed me back to the Cornucopia. I saw the field lessening, tributes' bodies lying motionless, a few packs of supplies lost. My nostrils flared. I caught a quick glance of blond hair fleeing into the woods—Shane.

"Look out!" Jenna shouted. I twisted just in time to swipe at the boy from 8 before his ax nearly came down on my shoulder. I got his throat, opening it. Blood poured from him, and his body dropped like a fly's. I ripped the ax from his iron grip; he wouldn't need it anymore anyway. The more weapons, the better.

"We've got a lot of cowards this year," Victor snickered. He made his way around to the mouth of the Cornucopia. I spotted a small cut on his neck. I heard two sets of feet join me. "They've all ran off. The shortest bloodbath I've ever seen. Pity, I wanted more of a challenge."

"Did you get somebody?" Aubrey panted.

"The girl from Eight. She tried to strangle me, but I got her." He twisted the knife in his hand, its blade covered with fresh blood, just like my dagger and arrow was.

Screaming made us dash inside the Cornucopia, me slowed down by my limp. Bane and Ben were lugging out the girl from 11. She was near my age, with ridiculously long, brown hair that was in a simple braid down her back. She kicked and fought against the boys, but they held her steady. They tossed her to the ground, kicking her on her back. She whimpered, trying to scurry away. Bane slammed his foot down on her leg. She screamed, my arms got goose bumps.

"Who should do the honors?" Ben asked.

"Let me," Jenna purred. She yanked the ax I had stolen from my hand, strutting to the girl. She looked at Jenna, her whole body quaking.

Jenna knelt down, and with one swift stroke the girl's head came clean off. I danced away as her head rolled by me, her mouth wide open, and blood gushing from where her head was once attached to her neck. I looked at her headless body. How is Jenna that ridiculously strong to decapitate someone like that? I definitely knew not to get on Jenna's bad side. It was more important now to keep that in mind.