c.22

By the time I open my eyes a few hours later, I find that I'm the first one awake. James is spread out like a limp toy, one leg on Adrian's and one arm over my neck. 

      Like his son, Adrian seems to abuse his given space and has his limbs all over the place. One that comes to my attention is the arm that crosses over James' stomach to wrap around mine. I can feel his fingers curled on my side tightly, preventing me from moving. 

      Huh. First he gives me a cold shoulder and now, in his sleep, he's being a clingy little bastard. I scoff and carefully extract his grip from my torso to settle it on James. From the movement, he twists his head more comfortably on his pillow and continues his slumber.

      Shaking my head, I sit myself up on the bed and place my feet on the carpet. I hunch my shoulders in the form of a stretch before getting up and heading towards the vanity. I look past my make-up bag and grab my phone. Ever since I've taken responsibility of James, I haven't had much time to browse through my messages and social media.

      I casually stride over to the window, rubbing the sleepy out of my eyes as I do. With a careful hand, I pull back the curtain a little to let in a bit of dim sunlight. It looks like it might rain today. I sit on the window sill and turn on my phone, heading to my contacts.

      It's been a while since I contacted my mom and my dad. Ever since they decided to call off their relationship, which was a civil and mutual decision apparently, they've been enjoying their new single lives. It's my job as their daughter to check up on them every once in a while.

      I choose to call mom first and hold the phone up to my ear as it dials through incessant rings. 

      "Lizzie?" She picks up on the fourth ring. Her voice sounds hoarse too; I think I woke her up.

      "Hi mom," I grin as I talk. "Did I wake you?"

      "Yeah, dear, it's fine." She yawns through the speaker and I giggle quietly.

      "I just thought I'd check up on you." I make sure to keep my voice low, glancing at the two boys on the bed.

      "On little old me?"

      "You're not that old, mom," It's hard to not laugh when you're talking to my mom. She has that kind of tone that can get an angry old man chuckling.

      "Ah, well, I'm doing fine, my dear. Tell me about yourself, it's been a while since your last call."

      "Heh, yeah..." I trail off, tucking my hair behind my ear.

      "What's going on?" She asks cheekily. "Why are you up this early anyway?"

      "Nothing's going on," I conclude, flustered.

      "Are you seeing someone?" Her sleepiness is gone and replaced by excitement. I hear shuffling on the other side and I assume that's her getting out of bed.

      "I—no," I mutter, unsure of what I'm doing in regards to that topic.

      "Don't lie. Have you met someone?" She pesters.

      "Mom—okay maybe. I don't know. Stop asking!" 

      "Oh, my darling Lizzie, you've grown up!" She sings into the speaker and I widen my eyes at her enthusiasm.

      "Mom, I don't know what it is, don't jump to conclusions—"

      "Is he handsome?" She interrupts. "Or wait—she? Oh, tell me!"

      I laugh and quickly stop myself by chewing my lip.

      "He's okay in the looks section."