c.41

As soon as I arrived, my clothes were switched to something homier and my hands got to work in the kitchen, soaking some pasta before boiling it and getting my cheese and spices. Chilli powder is the secret ingredient to my mac and cheese—not too spicy but adds that flick of flavour to the cheese. As expected, the doorbell rings at precisely twelve so I lower the flame on the stove, wipe off my hands and go to greet her.

      Behind the door, mom stands with a big box in her hand, wearing a stunning, long maxi dress and her brightest smile. She looks years younger when her blonde hair is up in a bun with her side curls falling past her jaws and I can't help but tear up at the sight.

      "Mom," I sniffle and engulf her in a way overdue hug. Holding her package to the side, she uses one hand to pat my back, placing a sloppy kiss on my cheek.

      "Oh, Lizzie, I've missed you too." She pulls away, taking me in. "Have you grown shorter?"

      "Okay, get out."

      Her laugh sets me off before I grab her hand and pull her in through the threshold. Closing the door behind her, my eyes greedily feast on the box in her hands.

      "What's that?"

      She looks down at it and adorns a questioning look, pursing her lips. "I don't know. It just appeared out of nowhere."

      I groan, smacking my forehead. "Dad is a horrible influence and you guys aren't even together."

      "I can't help it, he keeps calling me for the stupidest things," mom shakes her head and shoves the box into my hands. "Late birthday present."

      I test out its weight, blinking. "What is this?"

      "You can either open it now or check on whatever is burning."

      Shit! Abandoning the box on the couch, I dart into the kitchen and flick off the gas, stirring the mixture of cheese and pasta. Thankfully, it isn't burnt but it's a little sticky. Taking a piece of pasta onto the wooden spoon, I blow and take an anxious bite; it tastes fine.

      "Houston, do we have a problem?" Mom peers over my shoulder, grinning at the sight of my mac and cheese. "Seems like everything is under control."

      "Yup. Want to eat now?"

      "Later, I want to see you open the present." She giggles like a schoolgirl and claps her hands, pushing me into the living room. Wondering what her enthusiasm is about, we both take our seats on a couch, mom beside me, and I take the box into my lap. Giving her a side glance, she is practically bouncing on the edge of the seat. Unable to hold my curiosity back, I pick out the lid and gasp.

      A pure white folded dress sits comfortably inside, tulle and silk popping out as soon as I reveal it. Snapping my gaze to mom, she encourages me with a smiling nod. Standing up, my fingers clutch the shoulders and pull it out to show off its full length. It's a wedding dress for sure, judging by how flawless and vintage it looks. A fishtail skirt shows off the curves where the waist would be and the sleeves are made out of lace, with the occasional bead sewed in. The main bodice is silk and would be a hugging fit on the body all the way down below the knee until it spreads out in tulle and glitter. The collar plunges in the middle below the sternum in a V, great for showing off a neck full of diamonds.

      "Mom, I..."

      "I got married on my twenty fourth birthday so as soon as you were born, I waited another twenty four, just to give it to you." Mom looks at me with misty eyes, her tears flooding behind her lashes.