Aubrey Jens

"Well, Uh

"Well, Uh... There's the math hall," Kathy pointed a pale hand. "And science, social studies, ELA and writing..."

They continued down the halls until the bell rang. Aubrey took out her schedule.

"I have Mrs. Josie for math..."

"R-really?"

Aubrey nodded.

"Me too..."

Without another word, Aubrey followed Kathy to their classroom in the math hall. When Kathy sat down, Aubrey went to the teacher's desk.

"Mrs. Josie? I'm new..."

"Okay, you can sit next to Kathy or Morris. Your choice."

Aubrey looked to the plump boy in the green shirt. Morris didn't seem all that appealing, so she went and sat next to the girl she knew. Kathy tried her best to keep her eyes off the joy that radiated from Aubrey's body.

She was everything Kathy wasn't: Happy, pretty, and likable. She knew Aubrey wouldn't have any trouble making friends and that she'd be tossed aside in a week tops.

"So, is this class hard?" Aubrey asked.

Kathy pulled her black hood over her head. "No..."

"Hey... what's wrong?"

Shock was distributed among Kathy's body. It was the first time in literal years that someone other than her parents cared about her. Then came the touching.

It was simple, a hand on her shoulder. It was like a breath of fresh air. Kathy couldn't help but flinch making Aubrey take her hand away.

"Uh..."

"I'm okay! I'm fine, actually..." Kathy smiles to prove herself.

Aubrey smiles back, convinced that she has made a long-lasting friend. When class was over, a blonde haired senior walked up to Aubrey's desk.

"Hey, hun! I'm Rebecca Lockwood, top bitch at Golden Oak's Academy. You'll learn that pretty soon."

Kathy knew it was only a matter of time before she was approached by bitch-mc-blondy. That's when she supposed Aubrey would leave her.

"Cool! I'm Aubrey!"

Kathy stares at her. Is she serious? She thought.

"I think you are just about pretty enough to join my group. What d'ya say?" Rebecca smiled.

"I don't know. Can... um... c-can..."

Aubrey snapped her fingers trying to remember Kathy's name. The emo teen finally filled in the blank.

"K-Kathy..."

"Kathy! That's right! Can Kathy come?"

"That's cute..." Rebecca smiles. "But no. She's too gothy and depressing. Not my tempo."

Aubrey's smile faded as Rebecca strutted out the door. "Think about it, hun!"

"Wow... she's a bitch."

Again, Kathy was shocked by Aubrey's confidence and perfection. It shouldn't be possible. That's when she started to get a feeling.

That kind of feeling. She knew it all too well, but she hadn't had a real relationship of any kind since...

"Baby, you're so hot..."

Kathy raised her hands up to her head as if to shield the horrifying thoughts. When she came back to reality, she realized Aubrey had been asking if she was okay. It sounded almost panicky...

"Yes! No! Yes...! I'm fine.... sorry."

"Okay... do you think we have the same class next hour too?" Aubrey asked, pulling out out her schedule to check.

"I have Mr. Baham... science."

"Oh... I have Social Studies next... Did you want to walk with you to-" Kathy quickly stopped herself, seemingly knowing the answer to her own question. "Never mind..."

"Oh..."

Kathy left Aubrey there, feeling extremely concerned about her new friend.

What is wrong with her...?

********

When Kathy turned to walk to social studies, she bumped into a boy. He simply shoved her out of the way.

"Move it, freak."

It was Morris. He was more unpopular than she, and yet even he could push her around. He smirked when she fell to the floor.

"So... very... pretty..."

Kathy shuddered. The memories were more consistent. More than she'd ever admit to anyone. She got up and began to walk back in her original direction.

"Will you move your weird emo ass?!" Rebecca remarked, shoving her back down to the floor.

This time, Kathy didn't get up. She stayed there until the halls were empty with her knees pulled up to her chest. The kicks she encountered weren't as bad as she'd expected.

She made it to social studies twenty minutes late.

************

After school, Kathy was walking home when Aubrey called her name from behind.

"Kathy! Wait up!"

She turned around to face a the giggly teen. "I made so many friends! Isn't that cool? Maybe my friends and yours friends and us could go hang out sometimes! We'd be like one big group of besties!"

Kathy looked down. "I... I d-don't have any friends, Aubrey. I doubt your friends wanna hang out with me anyway."

"Kathy... why not? You seem pretty normal to me."

One might've expected Kathy to tell Aubrey that she was a lesbian, because that was the easiest way to explain it, but Kathy wasn't trying to ruin her one and only friendship.

"I'm emo..."

She wasn't lying. Technically she was, and she accepted that about herself. It was other who didn't...

"I love your purple hair..."

Kathy suddenly wanted to rip out her hair. Instead she suppressed the urge by gritting her teeth. Aubrey's house sadly showed up on their walk before Kathy's did. Aubrey have smile and a wave as she skipped up the steps.

"Bye, Kathy!"

"Bye, Aubrey..."

It felt like she'd never see Aubrey again. She was suddenly a lot sadder than before. Then the feeling came again. You know the one...

The top pic is Aubrey. I know I showed you guys Kathy before but I recently made a request for a more accurate drawing. When it shows up, I'll replace the image shown originally.