Chapter 10: The Walk Home

Valeria tried to concentrate in class throughout the day, but kept pulling out the player handbook and studying it. She made a character, one similar to the guild she chose in real life.

Rogue Thief: Chaotic Good Alignment.

Reading the description for the Chaotic Good Alignment made her laugh; it described her perfectly.

A rebel who acts based on their conscience, with little regard for societal norms. These people act in the best interest of others, while showing contempt for trivial laws and regulations.

Flipping through the different chapters and the various characters one could play, Valeria couldn't help but ask herself, how many of these characters are based on real factions? The Rogue Faction was very real. Frank said there used to be a Mage Faction, but it went extinct centuries ago. She searched for a chapter on mages, but stopped when she got an odd feeling; she was being watched.

A girl two desks over was watching her from behind a book. When Valeria caught her in the act, the girl hid from view. They repeated this game for the next five minutes until the bell rang.

What a weirdo.

Exiting the class, Valeria saw this girl in a reflection from one of the windows. She made two quick moves among the crowd of students and slipped into the adjacent classroom. From where she stood, she watched the remainder of the students – including her stalker – exit into the hallway.

She paced around the hallway like a lost child looking for her parents. She was skinny, with long brown hair that cluttered around her pale face. The petite white girl reminded her of Emma Watson, the British actress from the Harry Potter movies. She continued to search for something while clutching her books against her chest, but eventually gave up when the hallway cleared. With her shoulders slouched forward, she sighed and walked away.

Curious, Valeria peeked out of the classroom. She watched her stalker walk away and wondered why the girl was so awkward. Valeria was about to exit her hiding spot, but stopped when the girl collided into a group of boys. She fell backward and sprawled across the floor, her books scattered around her.

The boys laughed, and one of them pointed at her. "Watch where you're going, freak!"

"I'm sorry," she stammered, trying to collect her things.

"Well," a blonde haired boy said, reaching for something on the ground. "That's not good enough. I think you can do better." He picked up the girl's purse, removed her wallet, and pocketed the cash inside.

Valeria's fists clenched. She remembered this douchebag; he harassed her during her first period class.

"You're such an asshole, Wormer," one of the boys said with a laugh. "You know she's Sheri's friend, right?"

"I don't give a shit," Wormer replied. "She's rich. Daddy can give her more money. Let's go."

The boys laughed and carried on with each other as they walked down the hallway. When they were about to pass her classroom, Valeria bumped into Wormer. She regained her balance by holding onto him, put on her best smile and said, "Perdoname."

"What the –" Wormer exclaimed with surprise. He stopped mid sentence, looked her up and down with a devilish grin, and continued with, "well now, unlike that freak, you're welcome to bump into me any time you want, mamacita."

She continued holding him within her embrace. "That's very nice," she said, attempting an exaggerated Latino accent. "I like man who compliment women." She leaned close and whispered in his ear. "Allow me to return the favor, dick."