Confrontations

Momina Abdul Majeed

I was sitting on the couch of my living room, munching on cookies and milk, wrapped in a cozy blanket. December hits quite hard in the states. And me being extremely sensitive to cold yet always enjoying it, was prone to frostbites. I was really into this crime thriller, I was watching on Netflix when I heard the doorbell ring. It was raining outside and I was home alone. Murad had left yesterday, for a 2-day trip, again. And it was very unlikely for him to return early. The doorbell went again and I had no choice but to leave my cozy spot and open the door. I put on my hijab and unlocked the door, not quite surprised by the visitor, Humdaan Sheikh.

I greeted him with a fake smile and held the door open for him. I didn't have to tell him 'Please make yourself at home' or ask 'Do you need anything ?' He always knew his way. He sat in my cozy spot and motioned for me to join him. I went over and sat on the farthest corner of the couch.

"So how are you? Glad to have you around when Murad is not." I spoke neither of us bothering to say, Salam.

"Woah! Are you okay? What's with the sweetness all of a sudden?" He asked, with amusement laced in this voice.

"Like after you go all touchy with me, what do you expect? I can't help it, I am a woman." I stated.

"When did I go all touchy with you?" He asked with furrowed brows and went thoughtful for a moment "Oh, you mean the hug!" He recalled. "Is that what it took you to come back to me?" He asked bewildered.

"The electricity buzz," I said nodding my head in a positive.

"So what do you want me to do next for the buzz?" He asked, coming closer to me.

"Whatever is in your plan!" I replied, my voice going down to a whisper. Within a few seconds, he came on top of me, our bodies touching just slightly. The first thing he did was untied my hijab and tossed it on the floor, holding my gaze, like it was the thing he hated the most. And slowly cupped my cheeks and capturing my lips in his softly yet, passionately. I shut my eyes savoring the kiss while my hands ran up his back, fisting his hair, and caressing his neck while kissing him back. And soon we were lost in each other, exploring and loving, when the door burst open.

"Momina, look what I-----" My eyes flickered open to see Murad standing, with a bouquet from the corner of my eye. His smile fell at the sight before him and he dropped the bouquet on the floor. We were frozen in our places and couldn't do anything, but watch Murad as he took long strides towards us and grabbed Humdaan by the collar, who was still on top of me. He punched Humdaam till his lip busted and blood began oozing out of his nose. Humdaan tried fighting back, but he was relatively weaker than Murad. Soon he fell on the floor, holding his bleeding nose and coughing. 

"It was her!" He panted pointing a finger at me. "She made me do it." He claimed. My eyes widened at his statement. I made him do it?

Then, Murad marched towards me and I could see the popped vein in his neck, a sign of anger. He took me by my arm, roughly pulling me to our bedroom and shoved me inside. I fell on the floor rubbing my bruised wrist and looked at Murad who bolted the door and left.

My eyes shot open and I was sweating profusely. It took me a few minutes to realize that I was in my bedroom, sleeping and it was a dream. Correction, it was a nightmare. I took in deep breaths, to calm down my rapidly beating heart. I walked towards the door just to make sure I wasn't locked and into the living room to see no bleeding Humdaan and a furious Murad. Relief washed over me to see none of them and things were just the way I had left.

I was terrified at what I saw so I decided to pray 2 Rakat nafl prayer. I made my ablution and prayed. I raised my hands to make dua, asking for help and protection from my lord.