chapter 21

Sent,
1994, February,

Dear Mr Ado,

I hope this letter finds you well, by now you must have received news of my parents' death, it has been the toughest time of my life but slowly I am getting to the stage where I don't burst into tears when I think of them but then other times I miss them so much that it is all I can think off, on these dark days, Tolu Kingston (I'm sure you remember him, his father was briefly a client of yours) has been by my side.

I hope to get in touch with you soon as I have a few concerns to discuss with you. I wish to create a will of my own, the death of my parents have taught my that life is too short to not prepare for death because it will surely come. I assure you that I have given this sudden decision much thought and have been forced towards taking this step because of a few circumstances that are beyond me.

Also, I have also consulted a few lawyers that were also in the employ of my parents and they have informed me that this decision is in fact a wise one.

I only trust you because you were loyal to my family for so many years but make no mistake, if you refuse to help me with my will then I will definitely seek help from others and with a whole team that run the family company I am sure that I will not have to look very far.

I hope to hear you soon and hope your trip to Germany was a success.

Yours sincerely,
Tamika Aofiyebi Afolabi.

Received,
1994, March,

Dear Tamika Afolabi,

I received your concerning email which has caused me to write this letter in reply. First, I pay my condolences to you, your parents might have been my clients but they were also good friends of mine. The accident was a very unfortunate incident and I regret that I was unable to pay my respects at their funeral.

While as a lawyer, your decision is a practical one, but your sudden desire for a will is also alarming since your parents died just last month, I hope you are well both physical and mentally. If you insist, then I will surely adhere to your wishes, if you are not busy then I suggest we meet at my office on the fourth of next month, so you will have had the time to think this through. You are still young and have life ahead of you, there will be enough time to think such things through later in the future.

Please, send my regards to your friend, Tolu Kingston who I hear has been a solid rock for you in the past weeks, I indeed remember his father, (the oil mogul who ran into trouble with a rival company some years ago). He has a good head on his shoulders and I'm sure your parents would be smiling down on the both of you.

Yours sincerely,
Barrister Muhammed Ado.

***

"Since when does Miss Goody Shoes deal drugs?" Jamal snorted as he caught sight of them, although he had to shout above the music to be heard. He was quick to discard the girls around him because even though Kendrick was desperate for answers he could also tell that Jamal wanted something from them, something had to be in for him or else he wouldn't have offered his help.

Grace rewarded his words with a snarl that lacked courage and obvious when she shifted closer to Kendrick.

Jamal let out a wheezing laugh, throwing his head back as he did so and when he finally quieted down, he tilted his head to stare at Kendrick as if just noticing him for the first time and the ugly sneer that formed on his face would have made Kendrick laugh if the situation weren't a serious one.