21. Tangled Threads

Faria and Azam wanted to go to their home but Zulfiqar Ali shah stopped them for more few days to celebrate the victory of election. Zubair was elected MLA and Zulfiqar Ali Shah wanted to celebrate it.

Isra has been witnessing something suspicious cooking between the elders of the haweli including her parents and soon the news was broken that on the day of feast held as celebration for Zubair's victory, Zubair will be nikahfied. She had also heard that the girl he was about to marry was totally of his choice.

She broke down in her room, her eyes red due to the pricking of her broken dreams. She cried like a baby that night who had lost their favourite toy.

Her heart was seeing autumn before see could enjoy the blooming flowers of love.

"Isra." Next day, she woke up with a determination that she will not let anyone see her misery and after freshening up and putting makeup to hide her hollow eyes mirroring her soul and paled face, she went towards the kitchen to make herself a strong coffee when Zubair called her.

She turned to look at him, surprised at the fact that he called her for the first time.

"Yes." Composing her erratic heartbeats she replied.

"If you are not busy can you make me coffee please?" He politely asked her.

She wanted to deny and tell him that go ask the one you are going to marry but holding herself back she nodded affirmatively and started doing her work.

Zubair climbed on the kitchen slab and fixed his gaze on her. She could feel his gaze but acted oblivious even though it was unnerving her.

"Are you upset over something?" He asked her when she was extending his cup.

She didn't know why suddenly he was interested in talking to her but nonetheless she masked well her astonishment.

"Why would you say that?" She said stretching her lips into big fat fake smile.

He narrowed his eyes at her.
"Have you done your shopping for my nikah?" Few seconds later he asked her, his calculative gaze examining her features.

"I've everything." She shortly answered and turned to leave the kitchen when he called her again. She internally cursed the situation. It was hard for her to act all calm and compose when her heart was shattering into pieces with the thought that this man who was her first love, was going to be someone else's.

"Be ready in the evening, I will take you for shopping and for your record dada jaan has asked me to do so."He literally ordered her, in the end his tone was mischievous but Isra didn't notice. She was in her own world of pain and loss.

She nodded, not wanting to argue and also she wanted to spend some more time with him before she completely retract herself from him.

Zubair smiled charmingly behind the cup of coffee, his gaze following her.

****<*****>****

"Uzair, Amma jaan has called for the tenth time now."She said snatching the file from his hand.

They were going to haweli for the celebration and Zubair's nikah.