SEVEN

The next morning, Iris was ready to head out for the day as she dressed her comfiest clothes possible and grabbed her car keys. Though, right when she opened the front door, she was greeted face-to-face with the person she wanted to see the least.

"No, Riley's not home." The girl was about to close the door on Rafe, but he pushed it back open without hesitation before it closed. Iris examined his briefly. The boy looked a bit sweaty and out of breath, as if he just ran a thousand miles to get there. "My dad's not home either, if that's who you wanted to see." Iris attempted to close the door again, but he just kept holding it back.

"What? No. I'm not here to see your brother or your dad." Rafe panted heavily between words. "I just wanted to talk to you."

Iris laughed in his face, as if he said a hilarious joke, though he looked confused. Rafe was not sarcastic when he said so. "Oh, shit. You're serious."

"Yeah, why? Is that weird?" Rafe was still panting.

Iris looked at the tired boy weirdly. "Why the hell are you breathing so hard?" The girl was quick to switch the topic.

"I was playing golf with Topper earlier. And then I ran here."

"You were playing golf?" Iris raised an eyebrow at the boy in doubt. He nodded is head in confirmation. "First of all, golf isn't even an activity that makes you sweat as hard as you are right now. And second, the golf hills are literally right behind this house and you own a bike. And you still decided to run here."

"Well yeah, but that's why I'm here. To get a glass of water." Rafe hinted at the girl to get him a drink to cool down. Iris just rolled her eyes playfully, grabbed the boy's wrist and brought him to her car, after closing her house's door behind her.

"Where are you going?" said Rafe, as he and Iris both got into the car, with Iris on the driver's side.

"We, my friend, are going on a magical adventure." Iris said nonchalantly, as started her car before moving the car off the front driveway.

"An adventure? We're not 8-year-olds."

"Really? Well, you sure act like one." Iris looked at Rafe in the seat beside her, as she gave him a doubtful stare.

Rafe looked back at her, examining her stunning features. Rafe never really thought about Iris, in terms of romantical interests and whatnot. All he really thought of her was that she probably and absolutely despised him, as she was just looking out for her younger brother. He understood he was never really the best influence on him, and he understood that Iris has been through a lot in her traumatic past. But the both of them were somehow growing onto each other, and they didn't mind it at all.

"Hey, did you ever solve that generator money problem that you caused the other day?" said Iris, with her eyes back on the road as she drove.

Rafe suddenly tensed up at the question, knowing that Iris knew about his conflict between his father and him about their back-up money that he used on his stupid bike.

"No-" Rafe answered, but was cut off by the driver right before he was about to elaborate.

"No? Rafe, you spent the money on a fucking bike-" Iris was about to raise her voice at him but he cut her off with a greater voice too.

"Woah, woah, woah. Before you say anything else that might just make me want to jump out of this car, no." He stated again. "But I'm working on it."

"Working on it? Like what? Do you have a job or something?" Iris was shocked and confused at the same time. She didn't really trust the boy in his deeds, as they might put himself in hot water.