6

We arrived back at headquarters right after sundown just in time for dinner. Now I would actually be able to eat with the rest of the soldiers. I was a little scared though as all eyes would probably be on me especially after yesterday's performance when I sparred.

Hange led me to the mess hall and we got food together. I didn't really know anyone besides Hange so I followed her which I didn't necerially like as I looked like her pet. But I guess I would have to sit with her for the time being.

"ISA! Hey come sit with me"

I turned around and saw Nifa call me over. Hesitantly I walked over to her.

"Hi"

"Where were you today?"

"Hange took me to training with 3DM gear to see if I would have to go into the trainee corps"

"Well the fact that you have natural talent and that your here right now says that you're not leaving"

"Haha yeah I mean it's not that hard once you get the hang of it. I am definitely no pro at it but I get the basics. I'm sure with more training I'll get better"

"I mean you have a whole month to train you're fine. I hope"

"A whole month?"

"Yeah that's when the next expedition is"

"Ahh I see"

"So have they assigned you to a squad yet."

"Well Hange said she wanted to see how I performed in the expedition before I was assigned so I'll be with the newcomers"

"Well if you need anyone to spar with until then don't hesitate to let me know"

"I will"

With that everyone ate their food and talked about whatever gossip was going around. It felt weird how they could all make friends even though they were constantly putting their lives at risk. But I mean on the other hand if you have friends to live for that would push you even harder. It was a hard way to live without a reason to push you forward.

I felt that though. Right now I want to redeem myself but if I'm not able to do it I don't know how I'd keep going. If I fail then there's no reason for me to live. I have no one left. I cleared the thoughts in my brain and headed towards my room. I decided that I'd sleep early and I was exhausted.

-------

"Get up."

"But father it hurts"

"You're never going to survive if you can't fight through the pain"

The small girl lifted herself up and faced her father. They had been training all day. She was completely out of strength and her legs felt as if they were made out of concrete. But she wasn't going to fail her father. This was her destiny and she was going to show her father she was meant for it.

"There we go, that's the daughter I raised. Now hit me again"

She raised her fists and reached out to land a punch.

I sat up in bed. I miss them. I've been pushing this feeling back all this time. I've been trying to fit into this new place and forget what happened. But I can't, it hurts. It's always going to hurt. A piece of me has been taken away and I can never get it back.

I looked out the window and saw it was the middle of the night. I couldn't go back to sleep now if I did I would only dream of my family and that's the last thing I need right now. I can't hold myself together.

I decided to go get some fresh air. I walked down the halls feeling utterly alone. Even if behind those doors were people I still felt as if I was the only person in this world. I finally reached the door to the roof and opened it.

"Tch. Let me guess?"

I brushed away my sad face and put on an unbothered one

"I didn't think you'd be up here again" I said nonchalantly

"Like I told you before this is my spot"

"You don't sleep much do you" I already knew from the dark circles under his eyes that was the obvious answer. I couldn't really judge him tho when I wasn't much for sleep either

"You could say the same thing about you" he said as he looked back to face me. There it was.

A bit embarrassed I looked down, "I just woke up right now"

"Is that it"

"Yeah. You don't care about that though."

"You're right I don't"

I walked forward and sat next to him and looked up. The sky was filled with stars. It was like someone had taken the twinkle from when the sun hit the water and painted it on the sky

"Captain"

He stayed silent

"You ever think that maybe the stars are people who've passed on. Even if you can't see them, they are always watching over us. They're far away but somehow at night it feels as if you can reach into the sky and grab them"

He looked over at me for a second.

I continued to look up and chuckled to clear the air "Just one of my ramblings ignore that"

"So you passed the 3DM gear test" he blurted out

"I was nervous but it was pretty easy."

"You seem pretty cocky it takes trainees 2 years to really get a hold of it"

"I never said I was good, I said it was pretty easy. I don't have perfect control over it but I'm confident in my skills with enough practice I think I can be useful."

"We'll see about that in the next expedition if you don't die"

"I guess we will"

Without warning he stood up and walked away

"Go to sleep cadet there's a curfew for a reason"

"I will. Goodnight"

He didn't turn around he just walked out the door. He reminded me of my father, quiet but when he spoke he inflicted fear. I think I'm gonna like him even if he is a pompous dick who can't mind his own business.

——-
This is a little shorter but I just wanted them have a little moment so didn't wanna over do it since Levi's not much of a talker. Next chapter is longer tho.

-justawriter