Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Heidi’s POV

Danica Harper is never late for school and especially Ms Chamberlain’s class. today that changed. It made me worry that she missed English class entirely.

I pulled my phone out and called her, but she didn’t pick up. There wasn’t a single reason I could think up that would make her miss the first period. When I left her house on Saturday, she was fine. I just didn’t know where she was.

I shoved the phone back into my pocket and exit class. We had History together with Aria. Maybe Aria has seen her?

I found Aria by her locker, with Foxx by her side. I hated to interrupt whatever was going on between them, but I needed to find Dani.

“Have you seen Dani?” I asked before she could even turn around to greet me.

Foxx offered her a goodbye before she left us. Aria answered me then. “Hello, big sister. Pleasant weather we’re having wouldn’t you agree?”

I stared at her in confusion. “What are you on about now?”

She shut her locker and faced me, a knowing smile on her face. “Oh, nothing. What’s up with you today?”

“I’m looking for Dani. Have you seen…?”

“Not since I picked her up this morning. If she’s not in class, she’s at the bleachers or in the gym.”

“Thanks.” I started down the hall again, but she stopped me before I got farther.

“You could’ve told me you two were ‘talking’ again, you know.” She air quoted the talking and made it seem like more than actual talking.

I chewed my lip. “I said nothing because I didn’t want to jinx it. “

She rolled her eyes. “I’m your sister. The one that’s been helping you through all this. I deserved that at least.”

I sighed. “You’re right. I’m sorry. I owe you big time.”

“Yeah, you do, and you better not walk out on her again and leave me to pick up the pieces. I’m tired of hearing her whine about you making her life miserable.”

I shook my head at how concerned she was. “Sounds like you found yourself a long-life partner.”

“I have you to thank for that.”

What Danica told me on Saturday resurfaced. Aria kissed her. Maybe it was a stupid game of truth or dare, but listening to Aria talk about her right now and knowing that happened between them made me uneasy.

“She told me you kissed her,” I said.