Chapter 22: Becoming Anbu

Knock Knock.

"Enter." Hiruzen said with his back turned as he continued to stare out the window at the village. After receiving permission Haku, Kimimaro, and I walked into the room and closed the door behind us. We all stood beside each other and then knelt down on one knee as we waited for Lord Third to turn and greet us. Hiruzen gave a puff of smoke with his pipe before he turned to look at the three young shinobi in front of him with a thoughtful look. It had been a few days since the attack on the Hidden Leaf, but thankfully do to everyone's efforts the damage done was minimal and things with the Hidden Sand village were dealt with accordingly.

"Rise." Hiruzen said.

The three of us stood up and awaited to hear the reason why Lord Third summoned us to his quarters. Hiruzen then said, "Haku. Izaya. Kimimaro. I have some things that I wish to discuss with you all, but first let me fill you in on the situation of the Hidden Leaf. These past few days I have met with the council of the Feudal Land of Fire. After what has happened with the village I have decided that I am indeed too old now to properly manage it. I have decided to abdicate the position of Hokage for the Fifth Hokage."

"AH?!" The three of us were instantly shocked at this new development.

"Hahaha, now now, it was to be expected. I can't be Hokage forever. After a long debate and discussion we have decided that the Fifth Hokage will be Tsunade. She was one of my personal disciples back in the day alongside Orochimaru and Jiraiya. Her current whereabouts are unknown, however Jiraiya has volunteered to find her."

"...Then...Lord Third, is the reason you've called us here so we may assist in something?" I asked.

Hiruzen gave a thoughtful look before saying, "Hmm...Well, perhaps. Allow me to explain further why I have invited you three here and only you three. First, Haku. Izaya. Congratulations, it's been decided that the both of you will be officially promoted to Chunin. As for Kimimaro, I know of your sickness and you have also yet to show your true skills to the other Chunin and Jonin of this village, therefore you have not yet been granted this title. No need to fret though as with your skills, it's only a matter of taking the test as a formality."

Haku and I were startled and elated at this news and bowed respectfully saying, "Thank you Lord Third." Kimimaro also saluted Lord Third and said, "I understand."

"Mn. It is as it should be." Hiruzen replied. He took one more puff of smoke before continuing, "There is still something I wish to discuss. First. Izaya. Not only am I aware that you can utilize the Wood Style, but I am truly surprised that you have the capability of utilizing the Flying Thunder God Jutsu of the Fourth Hokage. Then again I can understand. One must be an outstanding sensory type shinobi to use this skill alone. I may be a sensory type shinobi myself but my skills in this area are subpar at best. You however have a great talent in this area. You also have a formidable comprehension ability of sealing techniques. I remember when I first met you all those years ago you were only 7, but you had already been able to place a sealing technique over your blindfold to conceal your eyes. With your sensing skills and Sharingan, you can recognize patterns and see the intricacies of sealing techniques. Then by using your formidable comprehension ability, you can understand the techniques usage.

You also used this talent of yours to easily create your own unique sealing formula pertaining to spacetime which you then used to fuse your chakra with. This also means you have a formidable comprehension of the concept of space and time. And finally, your control over your chakra. You have a lot of chakra for your age and the fact that you cannot deactivate your Sharingan means it constantly drains your chakra. For you to keep the drain on your chakra to such minimal levels so it doesn't interfere with your life as a shinobi means that your ability to finely control chakra is extraordinary. All of these factors combined make you suited to learn the Flying Thunder God Jutsu.