31: "Look At Me."

𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚃𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚢 𝙾𝚗𝚎

"𝙻𝚘𝚘𝚔 𝙰𝚝 𝙼𝚎"

There's no way that I failed that final. There's no way in hell. I'm staring at the grade on the computer screen in front of me, completely at a loss for words. All I wanted to do was look at my schedule again for the spring semester, but I didn't realize the grades were posted. I still passed the class, but only with a C. If I'm wanting to become a doctor at any reputable school, this isn't going to get me there.

"Fuck." I mutter.

Is this because I've been so distracted? That's definitely a possibility. I haven't had the time to study with thoughts of Elena on my mind constantly. I'm always with her all the time, and I love that, but now my grades are slipping. I can't have that happen. I can't lose my scholarship.

Slamming my laptop shut, I get up and grab my backpack from the floor. I need to go talk to my advisor about all of this. They'll probably know more about this than me as to what to do.

"Xav..." Elena giggles, closing the door gently behind her. She's got a little bit of syrup on her cheek from the pancakes Dion made downstairs. "Come here."

She pulls me closer towards her and goes to kiss my neck, but I gently pull away. "Not right now." I sigh. 

"Why not?" She asks. I watch her smile fade, becoming slightly annoyed. "Come on, I didn't get to have you last night."

She pulls the backpack off of my shoulder and it falls to the floor with a thud, making me even more irritated. This is why I almost failed a class. Because I'm too busy having sex rather than focusing on studying.

"Elena." I mutter harshly, grabbing my backpack again. "Come on, alright? I'm not in the mood."

"Why?" She asks. "What the hell happened?"
"I almost failed one of my classes. I got a C." When she looks at me and gets a smile on her face I give her a confused expression. "What's so funny?"

"Xav, a C? That's what you're upset about? It's okay if you get one C. It's not going to make a difference."

"Um, to get into medical school it definitely could. This isn't a joke to me. I've been too distracted lately."

Once she pieces two and two together, she crosses her arms over her chest and looks down at her feet. "Distracted?" She asks. "I'm getting in the way of your dreams?"

"You're not getting in the way." I try to explain. "I'm just stressed out right now."

"So let me relax you." She smirks and goes to grab my crotch through my sweatpants.

"Elena, what the fuck?" I move away from her and narrow my eyes. "What part of not right now do you not fucking understand? Some things are more important than getting into someone's pants. The world doesn't revolve around sex."

Her eyes widen at my words as she takes a step back from me. I realize that what I just said came out completely wrong, especially since it's her, but clearly the damage has already been done.

"Well, the truth finally comes out." She laughs sarcastically. "Glad to know how you really feel."

"Elena..." I trail off, trying to somehow dig myself out of this. She grabs her bag from the floor of my bedroom and goes over to my bed to grab her charger out of the outlet. "Hey." I grab onto her hand and see the tears running down her cheeks. "I didn't mean to say that, alright?"

"Sure you didn't. Just admit it, Xavier. You think you're some hot shot on campus that just wound up getting sucked into my dramatics. You don't want to deal with me and the baggage I carry no matter how much you say it. It's too much for you."