chapter eighteen

Emily

The two hours I spent waiting to get to the hospital, were by far the longest two hours of my life. The nice taxi driver managed to get me to JFK in fifteen minutes, and with the traffic in Ireland, that was definitely record time. 

Then I had the hour and fifteen plane ride. I had spent the whole time twisting at my ring while looking at the view outside to try and distract from my thoughts. But that never ended up happening and I was only getting more edgy about getting to the hospital.

However the taxi driver who took me to the hospital was another story. He didn't seem to notice anything and instead was happily humming to himself while going under the speed limit. I wanted to scream at the guy to drive faster, but he didn't deserve that seeing as he wasn't doing anything wrong. I'm sure he'd probably dealt with a lot of snappy customers and I didn't want my mood to affect his, so I bit my tongue and twisted my ring for the half an hour drive.

One of the main things bothering me, was I hadn't gotten any calls or texts from Harry or Niall. Harry said he would keep me updated, and yet I'd heard nothing. And of course, that had me overthinking everything. Either, nothing had happened yet and there wasn't any need to call me for that very reason, or, something had happened and they didn't want to tell me over the phone. I didn't know which of the two I'd prefer because if nothing had happened, it would mean the doctors aren't doing shit for Molly, or, if something had happened and I couldn't be told over the phone, it would be something bad.

I practically sprinted into the hospital as soon as the taxi had stopped, not caring about how much I over-payed the driver but rather only wanting to get inside. I shot over to the receptionist as fast as I could.

"Molly Dean. I'm here to see Molly Dean" I breathed out, gripping onto the counter to stop me. The receptionist didn't look up or say anything, and instead began typing away on her laptop.

"May I ask who you are, her husband has only requested for family and two others to be allowed in" I scrunched my nose at the word husband and obviously this lady didn't know anything. But correcting her was the last thing I was going to do right now.

"I'm her best friend, Emily Mosley" I rushed out in the middle of my deep breaths from having just run for what felt like eternity.

"Oh yes, you're listed. She's on the private floor, room fourteen" I didn't bother listening to see if the receptionist had anything else to say. I ran to the lift, hurriedly pressing the up button and impatiently waiting for the lift to come.

I rushed into the lift as soon as it opened, and rushed straight back out at level four.

Just looking at the private floor's waiting room was overwhelming. Niall's parents, Maura and Bobby were both seated a seat apart, neither of the two talking. Molly's Dad Clarke was pacing around the room, biting at his fingernails. Niall was seated away from everyone and in the far corner, his elbows on his knees and head in his hands. And Harry had stood up as soon as he saw me. 

I rushed over to him at the same time he took three long strides to me, meeting me halfway.

"Is she ok?" I asked, my voice not even at a whisper and only just loud enough to be heard by him.

"We don't know yet" He replied, his voice equally as quiet. My stomach dropped. This wasn't the answer I wanted, it wasn't the answer anyone would want. "They said something about a placenta previa I think and they're having to perform a cesarean now"

I glanced over to Niall who looked distraught and was still sitting with his head in his hands.

"He's been here for an hour and a half and he hasn't moved once" Harry said, also taking a glance behind him. I nodded my head as I slowly made my way over to Niall.

I sat down beside him, watching as he still didn't move or bother to look up.

"She'll be ok" I said quietly, placing one of my hands on his shoulder and giving it a soothing rub. Niall looked up at the sound of my voice and it was now that I noticed his red, puffy eyes and the dry tears that stained his cheeks. 

"It's- it's my fault. I should have been there but instead I was in our room and-"

"Niall, you couldn't do anything to stop this. Molly's strong and she's going to push through. Her and the baby are both going to be ok" I reassured him softly. Niall shook his head, placing his head back in his hands but instantly shooting it back up at the sound of a door opening.

I looked up as a women who I recognized to be Molly's midwife came out. Her eyes landed on Niall who was already rushing over to her.

"As of now, the baby is alive" I let out a breath of relief and I'm sure everyone else did too. "She's in critical condition though. Molly wasn't due for another two months and so the baby's very small. She can't breathe on her own as so she's been taken to NICU for the needed care"

"What about Molly, is she ok?" Niall asked, his eyes wide with worry. 

"She's lost a lot of blood and we've had to give her a drug to have her sleep for the night" The midwife informed him, who's name I was still unsure of. Niall took a short intake of breath at the mention of losing blood. She hadn't necessarily said she would be ok and I could tell it was killing Niall and everyone else in the waiting room.

"Do you know what caused it?" I asked, wanting a conformation as to whether it was a placenta previa. 

"Well, it's common for women to have a placenta previa on their second pregnancy, especially when giving birth to twins-"

"But she wasn't on her second pregnancy and it was only the one" Niall interrupted, his voice now laced with even more worry.

"Yes, that's why Molly will have to be in here for minimum of three weeks. Having a placenta previa on your first pregnancy at her age when only birthing one child is not unheard of, but still very uncommon" The midwife said. 

"But she'll be ok right?" Niall asked again, this time hoping for a straighter answer than the last like all of us.

"She should be ok. But you have to know, this will affect her mental health. No one would ever want to go through this" Niall nodded his head at the midwifes words. "You are allowed to go in, but we condone for there to only be at most two people inside when she wakes up" With that the midwife gave Niall and the rest of us a reassuring smile before heading back down the hall.

I felt someone by my side, placing a hand on the small of my back. I didn't even have to glance up to know it was Harry from the familiarity of his hand and the vanilla scent he carried. The feeling of his warm hand gave me a small sense of reassurance I needed. Niall turned to all of us.

"I'm going to stay but you should all head home. I'll keep you updated" He said. Maura let out a little whimper, instantly going to Niall and pulling him into her arms.

I turned around, walking back over to one of the waiting room chairs and sitting down in it. I watched as Maura, Bobby and Clarke all said their goodbyes to him. He attempted to smile but his lips only came close to a small turn upwards.

I looked back down, getting myself in a more comfortable position. I wasn't going anywhere, not yet anyway. I don't care if I had to wait in this uncomfortable seat, I just knew I wasn't leaving until I knew Molly was awake and ok. 

I looked up as Harry came to sit beside me. He didn't say anything and rather placed his elbows on the seats arm rest.

"You're not going home?" I asked him, making him turn to look at me. He shook his head, giving me a small smile.

"I know you're not going to go and I don't want you waiting her by yourself" He said simply before turning back to look in front of him. 

What had happened seemed to have affected Harry as well. And why shouldn't it? He was just as excited about this baby as anyone else and now I could tell he wasn't himself because of it.

I just wanted to reach out to him, pull him into my arms and run my hands through his hair like he likes. But my feelings for him weren't going to get in the way of us being friends. And my feelings weren't something I was going to express right now. Not after everything that had happened. 

I'm going to try and update again today :)