chapter twenty-five

Emily

I had thought so much over the past few days that my head felt like it could explode. I was well aware that the five days I'd spent thinking were much longer than I should have been, but I was constantly going back and forth between the two options I had and it was using up all my mental energy.

My first option. I could take the job, move to London, work alongside Hugh and live my dream that's only getting better. I would be making a whole lot more money like Hugh said. The number of customers in London would be much greater there, especially when my cafe was one that many people found close to perfect. I would also be getting a whole lot more experience when working with Hugh. I would definitely be able to learn so much more if we worked together and I know there'd be various tips he'd give me. But, I'd be leaving my family. That seemed to be the only thing holding me back because they were some of the most important people in my life. Mum and Dad had both always been there for me from the very start, and Ally, Matt and Tommy had too for as long as they could. I'd barely been able to see them as much as I'd like while running this cafe in Ireland, so running it in London would only make things so much harder.

My second option. I could decline the job, stay in London, keep running the cafe here and still be living close to my dream. Everything in the cafe couldn't be going better right now. I was still making quite a lot of money from managing the place, we were getting plenty of customers and we had the perfect staff, especially Max and Bella. But, I'd be missing out on a once in a lifetime opportunity. I'd have to continue on everyday, knowing that I'd decline Hugh when I could have learnt so much from him. And that wasn't the only other thing stopping me from staying here. I wanted to live in London because I was nearly close to sure that things with Harry would work out again. I'd be living in London, seeing him more often and maybe, just maybe, if things worked out, I would end up living with him. That's what he'd wanted. It's what we'd both wanted. But the timing was never right. So what if the timing was right now?

And that's how I was constantly shifting back and forth between my ideas. I'd convince myself that taking the job would be a good idea, but then I'd remember I'd have to leave Mum, Dad, Ally, Matt and Tommy. So I'd convince myself declining the job would be better. But then I remembered Harry and how much I still wanted to be with him. How much I wanted things to go back to how they used to. So was taking the job both for the experience and Harry worth it?

Mum and Dad had both called me a few times, and each time they'd said the same thing. 'This is a once in a lifetime opportunity', 'Don't worry about us. You'll still see us and things will be ok', 'Everything with Harry could work out the way you wanted'.

So if Mum and Dad were both ok with me leaving, then shouldn't I be too?

Maybe they were right. Maybe I should take the job. I would seriously be learning so much from Hugh and everything that I've ever wanted, I would have, maybe including Harry. I wanted the job. I wanted it so much. I wanted to work with Hugh so much. And I wanted Harry just as much. But most importantly, I wanted everyone to be happy with my decision.

I was sure Harry would be happy, maybe even over the moon. Molly would definitely be over the moon. Niall could be for it as well. And my family. Well they wanted me to take the job just as much as I did.

So I guess that answers my question. Will I take the job and stay here, or will I take the job and move to London?

I fumbled for my phone, grabbing out the business card I'd been given and quickly dialing in Hugh's number. It was only on it's second ring when he answered, causing me to let out a sigh of relief.

"Emily, hello" Hugh said happily. Hearing him speaking to me again just sent my stomach into somersaults.

"Hi, Hugh" I replied nervously. I reached down for my ring, twisting it around out of habit. "I'm ringing about the job offer in London" I added. I heard Hugh let out a sigh and it sounded like it was out of relief, but it definitely did nothing to calm my nerves.

"I was beginning to think you'd forgotten about it" He chuckled, making me do the same even though it was out of pure nervousness. 

"Well, I guess I'll get straight to my answer then" I said. The line went silent, the only sound being mine and Hugh's breaths as we both waited for me to answer.

You want this Emily. It's your dream and everything's just falling into place for you.

"I'd love to take the job" I rushed out. I heard a loud cheer from Hugh, making me grin widely to myself, glad that he was happy with my answer.

"That is excellent!" He said and I didn't miss the excitement in his voice. "I'll have my assistant ring you to give you details on everything. But for now, is there any questions you have?" He asked me and my answer was a yes because I had a million and one questions I needed answering.

"Well firstly, I guess I'll start of with my main concern. What's happening to this cafe?" I asked him. 

"Well, that is entirely up to you" He told me, making me shake my head because I had no idea what I would do with it.

"Do you have any advice or recommendations on what to do with it?" I asked, hoping he'd give me some kind of lead on what to do with the place. 

"I'm glad you asked. I would recommend keeping the place, continuing to manage it. If you keep the cafe, it would only make your business grow and become more popular" He replied. But once again, I was left confused.

"How am I supposed to manage the place if I live in London?" 

"Well, you'd have a co-manager/managers. They'd basically do a lot of the stuff you do right now, but you'd still be their boss" I nodded my head, although I still hadn't made a decision. But what I could figure out what I did with the cafe later on because I still had so many more questions.

"Alright, thank you. You also said Molly could work with us if she wants?" I asked him.

I knew Molly would definitely be taking time off for Ellie, especially after everything that had happened. But I also knew that whenever she was ready and wanted to start working again, that working back in the cafe would be something she wanted.

"Yes of course. I'm aware that Molly was just as involved with the making of this cafe, so she would most definitely be welcomed back as manager if she wanted" Hugh said, making me let out a small sigh of relief.

"Ok, well thank you. I don't have many more questions right now, but I'm sure I'll have some later on" I told him.

"No worries, feel free to call me or my assistant and we'll both be happy to answer your questions

"Ok, thank you very much" I replied before Hugh and I exchanged goodbyes.

This was it. I was moving to London. I had so much I needed to do right now, but firstly, I was going to tell Mum, Dad, Ally, Matt and Tommy.

How do you think Harry will react to her moving to London?