Chapter 1: The Beginning

"Mommy!" Misty whined. "Falcon is bothering me!"

Falcon rolled his eyes as his sister gazed up at their mother Raven with those clear blue eyes everyone adored. Raven groomed her black fur as she talked to her kits, her voice stern and a little tired. But Falcon could see the faint smile Raven was trying to hide.

"What is it now Misty?" she asked, fixing one giant eye on Misty. Well, giant compared to Falcon's eyes at least.

"Falcon keeps jumping on me and pushing me around. I don't like it, I just want to play normally." She mewes, flicking her short tail and glaring at her brother.

"Oh come on Misty, you're such a joykill. I play your games all the time, why can't you play mine sometimes too?" Falcon said, trying to defend himself. He glared back, refusing to let Misty win this argument. Again.

"Because your games aren't any fun." She retorted and lifted her pink nose in the air. Falcon growled at opened his mouth to say something rude but Raven stared him into silence. Falcon swallowed his retort and rephrased his sentence.

"How do you know my games aren't any fun when you never play them?" He asked, trying to sound polite. But there was a clear edge to his voice. Falcon heard Raven sigh, and looked at her. "Who's right mommy? Me or Misty?" Falcon asked. He looked at her with deep blue eyes, his ruddy-brown tabby fur fluffed up indignantly.

"Falcon, please be more careful with your sister. You know she's smaller than you." Raven began as she sat up. Immediately Misty flashed Falcon a smile, her eyes sayin 'I won!'.

No! I refuse to back down now! Falcon thought as he turned to Raven. "I knew it! You always side with Misty!" Falcon growled. "Why are you never on my side?"

"Because you're never right!" Misty hissed at him. Falcon unsheathed his tiny but sharp claws and crouched down, ready to spring.

"Kits! Kits! Calm down, I'm not finished." Raven says to her kits strictly. "Now, as I was saying, Misty is the smallest. But you are right Falcon, your sister should also respect you and play your games just like you respect and play with her. Do you understand?"

Falcon and Misty both looks to their paws. "Yes mommy."

Stupid furball, he thinks, and glances at his sister. He knows that behind that glossy sliver pelt and blue eyes there is a bossy, spoiled she-kit. Mommy may not see it, nobody else can see it, but I do! I see it all the time!

"Good. Now off you go!" Raven says, and turns back to her grooming. Falcon hesitates for a moment, taking in his mothers slow, rhythmic strokes, the bounds after Misty who was trying to drag loose a long tendril from a bush.

"Come on Falcon! Help me!" she mewed between her teeth. Falcon stopped and looked at her with an amused expression, their argument already forgotten.