Part 11 - Round two

I was jarred back to the moment by the honk of a horn.  The car flew around me like I was sitting up on jacks, flipping their middle finger at me as they went by.  Apparently, I had been going to slow for them. I stole a quick glance at the speedometer, nope, I am indeed going the correct speed.  Thankfully, my exit for the hotel was coming up.  Stupid people, anyway.  I checked in, showered and finished off the bag of jalapeno chips I had brought. I was going to meet up with Amy at her house about 8pm, but since it was only 4 now, I figured I'd just go ahead and tell Darren about the baby.  'Best to just get this over with,' I scrolled through contacts to Darren's number. "Do you still live in the same house?"

"Yeah."

"Are you home?"

"For now. Why?"

Opting not to answer him until I arrived at his home, I drove the two miles to his residence and parked three houses down the block.  I walked the final distance trying to steady my nerves and gather some semblance of strength.  I finally replied to his text when I came to his door. "Open up.  I'm here."  I heard his rapid footsteps approach and as he swung the door open, I took a step back.  He stood there shirtless, wearing loose fitting, grey sweatpants.  His hair was hanging in loose curls just past his bare shoulders.  He was built.  If I didn't know any better, I would think he'd become even hotter than before.  When my eyes finally made it to his face, I found him smiling like a kid at Christmas, eyes dancing; a slight look of disbelief behind them. "Um, hey..." I stammered, revealing my nervousness.

"Oh God!  Come in! come in!"  he opened the door wider, ushering me in.  "I can't believe you're here.  I mean, I didn't think you were coming.  I would have cleaned up a little." He rambled as he picked up stray dishes from the coffee table. 

The house was modest and mostly neat, although it was clearly a bachelor's pad, which was odd considering he had a wife now.  It had been sparsely decorated with racing gear and hunting trophies. I personally, never cared for animal heads or bones as wall art, but the décor suited him.  His scent filled the air sending my heart into spasms.  The fire to know him raged.  'Stop it, Erin!'

"Hey, Darren?"  A young female voice came from behind him sending ice daggers into my skull.  "Have seen my... Oh!  I'm sorry.  I don't mean to interrupt."  It the first time I saw his young bride.  She was a beauty.  Shorter than most, and petite; almost frail looking.  Maybe dainty is a better word.  Gorgeous for sure.  Platinum blonde hair that lay in soft curls to her waist, perfectly straight teeth, light blue eyes.  And very pregnant.  She looked due any day and was glowing like people say pregnant girls do. I wanted to hate her. I really wanted to, but she was just too... innocent, no... young? She was too something, I just couldn't find any hate for her.

"It's okay," he replied though he kept his eyes on me.  "What are you looking for?"

"Keys." She said eyeing him warily. "The keys to the Jeep.  Amir said he left them on nightstand but they're not there."  'Amir?'  I didn't even try to hide my confusion.

He reached into his pocket and brought out the keys in question. "Here ya go." He looked away long enough to toss them to her, then brought his focus back to me.

I opened my mouth to ask the obvious question just as Amir came out of the bathroom with wet hair and towel wrapped around his waist. The girl smiled at him.  My eyes widened.  He just waved shyly and said "Hey, Erin."

"Erin?!" The girl quipped.  "Oh my god!  I'm so glad to finally meet you!"  She ran up to me and gave me the biggest hug she could.  I stiffened at the contact but gave her a polite pat on the back.  "I've heard so much about you.  I was hoping you'd come. I just know we can be good friends. Darren doesn't ever shut up about you which is saying something since he's not much of a talker. But I feel like I know you already by the things he has said."

"Angie?" A now dressed, Amir said getting her attention.  When she turned to him, he just gave her a look and a slight nod in Darren's direction.

"Oh! Right.  Look, we gotta go for now, but I do hope we can get to know each other later.  Okay?"

"Uh, okay..."  I wasn't sure what had just happened, but I was still glad to see the two leave. "I guess I should've asked if you were here alone."

"Yeah, well they had plans to leave anyway so don't think you chased them off or anything. Sorry. She can be a bit... enthusiastic."

"So she and Amir..."

"Yes.  She has Rocky's old room that she shares with him as often as he can come over. We aren't..." he shook his head.

"Together, together?"

"Right. Married in name only."

"Ah, I see." Well, sorta. There were still so many unanswered questions.

"Wanna sit down?  Can I get you drink or something?  I have water and orange soda.  Might even be a beer in there. Beer is probably not the best idea this time of day." He was rambling again like he was nervous or something.  "Or I could give you grand tour of the place if you like. I mean, obviously you know where Angie's room is." He said pointing behind him to the left where Amir had emerged from dressing.

I considered the options he gave me while scanning my surroundings, the lustful fire demanding to be fed. "Um..."  I muttered, locking eyes with him.  "So which room is yours?"

The afternoon disappeared into blissful exhaustion as our lusts for each other were fulfilled.  Wrapped in each other's arms we allowed sleep to take its hold. It seemed to be only a few minutes later when the bedroom door burst open jarring us awake.  Amy stood slack jawed at her brother's nakedness.  "Oh my God!!!  I am so sorry." She slammed the door shut. 

Shit, I was supposed to meet her at 8!' I rolled over to the side to grab my clothes, but Darren pulled me back and pulled the sheet over us both.  "Wait," He whispered, "she's not done."

The door swung open again. "Erin?!  Is that you?" 

All I could do was blush at getting caught. "Heeyy."

Amy rushed to the bed and threw her arms around me.  Yeah, you could say it was awkward.  "Yay!  I'm so glad to see you.!"  She leaned back and slapped my arm. "This is why you stood me last night?" Wait. What? Last night??  We were asleep all night?  "Anyway, doesn't matter.  It's good you're here.  I have some good news for you.  Both of you. But you gotta get up and come out here." She tugged at the sheet.

I held fast to my only covering. "Do you mind if I get dressed first?"

Amy released the sheet.  "Oh, God.  Yes. Yes, of course.  I'll just wait outside.  But hurry up, okay." She left the room closing the door quietly behind her.

"Now she's done." Darren said as he threw his feet over the side of the bed. "We better get out there before she comes back though." He winked at me as he slid his sweatpants up over his hips.

I stared a little too long at his dressing, lost in the emotions of the day.  Then my shirt landed on my face.  "Hey!"

"Seriously, Erin.  She's not a very patient woman." He stood dressed before me, pulling his hair back into a ponytail.  "Come on." As he tossed my underclothes to me and left the room.