November 18th, 2020 - Day 3: Designing for self-promotion

We're half way through Canva x Wattpad Design week! We hope you've gotten some helpful tips on how to build your cover creative confidence. Today we're focusing on how you can use Canva to brand yourself as a writer. Here are a few key things to think about in order to design for self-promotion.

Introduce yourself

You're a writer. You have written stories people want to read. Created entire worlds for Wattpadders to disappear into. Do you know how amazing that is? You deserve to shout it from the rooftops, which is exactly what we advocate for when we suggest investing some time and energy into your author brand. Your "brand" is a fancy way of referring to the presence you provide to the people who connect with you. And as a writer with professional aspirations, it's important to think about this as a step on the career path.

Some simple design (that you can DIY) can help elevate everything you do in the public sphere, whether on Wattpad or on social. We've broken some ideas down into concrete steps.

A great headshot doesn't equal professional photographer

A great photo should be used consistently across all channels—even if it's a great selfie, it should be treated as your headshot. And taking a high quality headshot of yourself is easy—especially with a self-timer. Simply set your phone somewhere shoulder height and far enough away from you that your shoulders and chest are visible. Pick a spot with great natural light. Snap a shot, or twenty, and pick your fav. Now it's time for the real fun.

Take your profile pic further

Use Canva to remove the background and place your profile pic on a clean backdrop. Or add a little filter overlay for some extra polish.

Create a look & feel

This might feel like overkill but hear us out—when it comes to developing content for your social platforms, you are going to find it SO much easier if you know the following:

1. What's my brand color?

2. Do I have a hero font?

3. How do I use images in my content? 

Luckily platforms like Canva are built to streamline that thinking

Luckily platforms like Canva are built to streamline that thinking. Dig around the template gallery for a look & feel that aligns with who you are and what you want to say. Make sure it's something you can adapt to a few different types of content. Here are some suggestions:

1. Your profile headers

2. Quote art - Got a snippet from your story to share? How should it look?

3. Self-promo assets - Maybe one day this will be IRL book signings. In the meantime it might be chapter updates, fun facts about you, advice for burgeoning writers... 

Check out the full Brand yourself: designing for self-promotion resource on the Writer Resource Page for more in-depth tips and advice on designing for self-promotion. Join us tomorrow for where we'll prompt you and a few of the Wattpad Stars to put their cover skills to the test!

- Wattpad HQ