Chapter THIRTY FIVE

Lacey Paxton

The dusty, late sunset colours the living room of your split level, 21st floor apartment a dreamy pinkish golden hue, bathing the gorgeous Marine in the glowing light that pours through the windows, like some kind of statuesque, glowing god, too picture perfect for his surroundings..

Your eyes keep flitting to Ace, now finding yourself unable to ignore his intoxicating presence.. Especially when he stretches out to make himself comfortable, all his honey-bronzed, masculine muscle looking uncomfortably oversized on your cozy little sofa..
Lord, he is so entirely perfect.. It almost seems cruel that somebody so gorgeous should exist.. No woman could possibly stand a chance.. Least of all you.

Everytime his peircing, pastel stare meets yours, you find yourself overcome with a rush of aggressive adoration.. You want to hold him so tightly it hurts..

Maybe there is something wrong with you, are you supposed to feel that way?.. It is beyond your control now anyway..

The final straw, the one that utterly broke your will to resist him was the way he had handled your brother.. Somehow, he had managed to do in five seconds what you haven't been able to do for yourself in years.. He got Hunter to listen to you.. Really, actually and honestly listen.. And he did it without once loosing his temper..

Even though Axe had layed down some pretty serious accusations, alongside the shock of your request, you had found the way Ace kept his calm air and diplomacy, rather impressive..

But most of all, you appreciate the way his focus never seemed to leave you.. He was your defender, your supporter and a real friend while you revealed your darkest secret to your brother.. A truely decent man.. As if spat out by the heavens themselves to heal your heart, soul and body..

After leaving Specter together and having spent the afternoon with Lori, you had then accompanied Ace as he picked up the children from their sports games, all of whom squealed with delight to seeing you and after one Lori's incredible home cooked meals, Ace had brought you back to your apartment where your scheduled study alarm had reminded you to put in at least a couple hours..

Since Ace had insisted he didn't mind and settled in to watch, you had set yourself up on a comfortable pile of cushions in the living room and he hasn't taken his gaze off you since..

So, now you sit on the fluffy pillows, surrounded by a pile of papers and textbooks, pens and highlighters scattered about, trying with all your might to focus.. A seriously impossible task.. "Stop staring at me.. I can't concentrate with you you doing that.."

Your cheeks flush with heat as he grins admiringly.. "I can't help it.. You make the cutest little face when you're thinking.."

You twist the pen between your fingers.. "Cute?.. Oh, I don't know--"

You shake your head, hiding behind the blonde hair that falls over half your face, turning back to your books as he chuckles, rich and rumbling, the sound spreading warmth low in your belly.. "What?.. You don't believe me?"

You drop the pen and smile up at him, making a joke in a ln effort to evade his question.. "Did Rafferty hit your head?.. Maybe we should be getting you an MRI?.. Just to make sure you don't have brain damage.."

He smirks as your smile turns teasing.. "Ah, you think I'm lying?"

You tilt your chin to better look up at him.. "Not lying, no.. I guess I just don't really know why you're here.. I mean.. Obviously I know 'why' - - but not 'why'.. You know?.."

His eyes darken.. "I can't believe what I'm hearing, Baby-doll.. Nah, it won't do.. "He jumps up energetically to his feet, reaching out to offer you a hand.. "C'mon.. I'll show ya.."