IX.

╔═══════꧁꧂═══════╗

The whole rest of the trip my mind was clouded. I tried everything in my power to be cheerful but I was unsuccessful. My words had been foolish with the one boy I actually felt normal with. I felt the urge to send him an apology, maybe even with flowers from our little garden just to cheer him up.

When I returned home, an announcement was made of an engagement between Lilia and Theodore Williams.

It came as a surprise for Aunt Brookings who tried to fight the proposal. I heard Uncle Brookings and her arguing in the dining area. She expressed that the engagement was too fast and Lilia wasn't ready, but he was left unconvinced.

"She's a girl, we cannot waste this opportunity because we are afraid that she isn't ready. This marriage will benefit all of us, Emily. So please, enough of your nonsense speaking tonight." He waved her off before leaving the room.

So much for finishing school.

There was a mood shift in the house, everything became quieter. Like we were all afraid to speak.

The smallest of sounds felt bleak. They hovered in the air, like a thick smoke.

Like I told you before, a death.

Lilia was excited, trying on her mother's wedding dress, pretending it was the big day. She wasn't afraid at all, so unusually eager for a sixteen year old to get married.

I couldn't help but notice that she absolutely beamed while looking at herself in the mirror. She smiled so hard tears welled up in her eyes, and it wasn't a forced smile.

She was genuinely happy.

She barely knew Theodore Williams, they've met a maximum of four times. How could she possibly fall in love with a cold, drunk man that she barely caught a glimpse of in his natural habitat.

What if it's just all a show he's putting on, like he's an actor. I wasn't falling for it.

He had arrived at the house for a formal meeting of the Brookings, all decked out in a grey suit and freshly polished shoes. His demeanor calm and collected as if he'd done this a thousand times before.

He smooth talked the girls, howled about investments with the men, and said used his best manners on Aunt Brookings. He didn't say much to me, and I was perfectly fine with it.

After we finished our meal, I noticed Theodore and Lilia go outside to discuss something in private. I know it may have been wrong of me to watch them, but my life isn't filled with much excitement and I was rather concerned for her.

I couldn't hear much but I could tell Lilia said something that he didn't like. He grabbed her harshly by the arm and before smacking her face.

In less than four meetings he had completely taken control of her life and Lilia blindly followed him. It wasn't too late for her, she could just leave him right now, call everything off.

Perhaps I could convince her, she would probably ignore my warnings, but it would be worth a try.

I hated that I felt guilty, because I didn't keep her home, and I couldn't keep us together. Even though my family weren't fond of me, they're all I have. I didn't want to lose what felt comfortable to me.