Chapter 8: The Animals

Callum sat in the middle of a lush forest clearing of the Sacred Grove, anxiously eyeing Archdruid River, who was busy humming to a gecko in the palm of his hand.

"Mmm, yes, yes, quite fascinating," River mumbled, caressing the gecko's head with his index finger. "Ah, Callum, do sit down! Or stand, or lie down."

Callum chose to sit, cross-legged, still not sure what to make of Lord River's mannerisms. He was an Archdruid and Rose's father. He had an affinity for the water element, like Rose, and was often spotted collecting ingredients to craft new potions. Callum assumed Lord River was partially responsible for making the shimmering liquid Lord Rowan offered him to drink if he didn't want to pursue being a druid when they first met, with Rowan's spores being a central ingredient.

Lord River was also in charge of the owls watching over the misty glade where Callum heard an eerie voice call his name. Clearly, he was an important figure to the Druidic Order, but he was also a bit odd and eccentric.

River began, twirling a dandelion stem in his fingers before delicately placing it behind his ear. "Animal communication is not about words. Oh, heavens, no! Words are the clumsy tools of human consciousness. Animals speak through the heart, through intent and emotion."

As if on cue, a haunting hoot echoed through the forest. River turned, his eyes lighting up as a barn owl swooped down, landing gracefully on a gnarled tree stump.

"Ah, Lunaria! Perfect timing, as always," he beamed, sending the owl a burst of pure, joyful emotion. In return, Callum could feel a wave of wisdom and, oddly enough, a hint of amusement ripple through the air.

"I take it you two are well-acquainted?" Callum asked, awestruck.

"We've shared countless moonlit conversations, you could say," River said, his voice tinged with mischief. "Now, enough of my incessant babbling. Close your eyes. Let's start with breathing; breathing is always a good start. Or middle. Or end!"

Callum shook his head, amused but focused, and took a deep breath, letting the nature-infused air fill his lungs.

"Feel the essence around you, Callum. The ebb and flow of life's tides, the delicate dance of nature's pulse. Each entity, whether a plant, animal, or even the very soil beneath us, emits a frequency, a unique song. Your job is to harmonize with it."

Callum sighed softly, letting his defenses fall. He reached out with his senses, letting his own song, as River described it, drift through the clearing. When he felt the touch of Lunaria's essence, he sent forth a ripple of his own essence with curiosity and respect.

Instantly, he felt a rush of complex emotions flood into him. There was scrutiny, wisdom, and an undercurrent of suspicion. Then there came an overwhelming feeling of paranoia. He felt a wave of a sensation he could only describe as raw, instinctual fear. The connection ended abruptly. Callum snapped back into reality and went pale.

River's talkative quirkiness ceased. Callum looked over to see the Archdruid staring at him intensely.

"I don't think Lunaria likes me," Callum spoke to break the silence.

"No, she doesn't," Lord River confirmed. "But it is good you were able to interpret that. She thinks you are dangerous."

Callum rubbed the back of his neck. "Well, I did almost start a forest fire when I was training my elemental affinity with Terra," he explained.

"Hmm... I see," Lord River said, but Callum couldn't tell if he was responding to him or to the owl. "Perhaps we should have you communicate with a different animal. Sometimes druids connect with some species better than others."