Chapter 15: The Meaning of Trust

Music is the main theme of Ghost in the Shell. Okay, so it's from a sci-fi movie, but it fits! Play it!

******

"Behold, our Deathslayer!"

Miraterciel becomes heavy in my boot.

I stare at the Grand Seer for a few painful seconds. She just...announced my identity. In public. Fear grips my chest. What was she thinking? The fool! If word gets out that I am a girl, there'd be no saviour left for Gaiatea, and I'd be condemned into the Seventh Hell.

Pietists help me.

Calm down, says Abner. Calm down. So long as Sir Kendrick and the rest don't hear this, it's all right.

But it's not all right. Nothing is all right. Grand Seer Fabienne has just announced my identity to the whole world. Panic closes in on me from all sides. What should I do? Run? But to where? Continue to walk? But there's my grandmother, practically awaiting me with open arms and a shark's smile. Stay still and hope that everyone would have mercy on me? No. That's as good as admitting to the truth.

Grand Seer Fabienne... I mentally curse her for putting me in a compromising position.

"Constantine." Gilbert's voice grounds me back into reality. "Keep moving."

I heed his words automatically, even though there is no compulsion being used on me. The sea of black before me suddenly has faces, all looking at me with a mix of expressions—confusion, cynicism, adoration. They overwhelm me.

I force myself to remember that I am a Champion. So I lift my chin and walk towards the faces, shoulders squared and steps deliberate.

I will not cower here—I can't afford to.

"Grand Seer Fabienne, what is the meaning of this?" I demand as I near the cathedral. The crowd parts for me, the sea of black transformed into splitting waves. I see that their fingers are placed over their lips, forming a 'V'. The sign of Pst. Zorah.

"What do you mean, my dear? All this was prepared for you!" The Grand Seer flings out a hand in a theatrical gesture. This is a stage to her: with me being her lead actor; the people as an audience; and her the playwright.

"I wasn't aware of this, unfortunately," I say drily, practically stomping my way to Grand Seer Fabienne. All this theatrics and idiosyncrasy is starting to rub on my nerves.

She smiles, but it is as cold as the season. "Well then, now you know."

"What is this all about?" Gilbert presses, stepping up to walk beside me. I push my discomfort away, taking solace in the fact that he's here, and that I'm not alone.

"The Champion of Pst. Ailith as well? Hmm. Looks like we have quite a few visitors today."

She doesn't sound surprised, although her words suggest otherwise. Gilbert and I look at each other. She's not intending on answering any of our questions. But as long as we play along and don't let any of our travelling companions catch wind of this...I should be safe.

For now.

"Come." Grand Seer Fabienne turns her back upon us just as soon as we reach her. She pushes the cathedral doors open easily; an ominous groan fills the space inside.

Gilbert and I share another glance. He shrugs his shoulders and enters the cathedral. I follow him, trying not to lurch at the knowledge that all eyes here are pinned onto my back.

The interior is surprisingly simple, belying the grandeur of the outside. Fairly basic designs and furniture; the only distinguishing feature is that every painting has a raven in it, including stained glass windows and the mosaic above.