Chapter 19- Doug Pierce

They dragged me into a police station waiting room. They forced me to sit there as the officer that dragged me talked to an officer at the desk. I sat across from a boy about Kate's age.

"Hey, Grinch," the boy said, smiling softly. "Don't look so down in the dumps. Christmas is tomorrow, after all."

"I wouldn't be so sure of that." I shrugged.

"Sometimes I just don't get people. A little snag in their plans, and suddenly, the sky is falling. Santa will find a way to make it all work out. He always does," the boy assured me.

"For good little boys and girls. I'm starting to wonder if I fall into the other category," I said.

"Not a chance. I know another True Believer when I see one," the boy said, slightly startling me.

"Wait, you know about True Believers?" I asked.

"I come from a long line of them. That's why I know that, by this time tomorrow, I'm gonna be in Miami. Nothing better than spending Christmas on the beach, if you ask me," the boy explained.

"Sounds like you'd get along with my boyfriend's family," I said. "Christmas in the tropics, however, isn't his sister's thing."

"Oh, don't get me wrong. I love drinking hot cocoa by the fire, ice skating, and that good stuff. But my grandparents live in Florida, and they're too old to travel. And who knows how many more Christmases I'm gonna spend with them, you know?" the boy explained.

"That's very sweet of you." I smiled.

"It's like my Mom always says, 'Christmas isn't about where you are, but who you're with'," the boy added. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, really. I can't find a way back to my family, and now I feel like... I'm such a bad person," I explained.

"Hey, it's okay. You couldn't have done anything that bad," the boy assured me.

"I found out my boyfriend's sister was running away and tried to stop her, and now we're trying to find a way home. And I probably ruined my engagement too by disappearing," I explained.

"Okay, that's bad." The boy chuckled slightly. "But the guy's sister, you must feel really close to her if you ran after her."

"I do. She was the person I had to really form a bond with. If I didn't, well, who knows where I would've been right now," I nodded. "She ran away because her family was changing. Her Mom got a boyfriend, and it's only been a couple years since her dad died. I don't know how she felt in the moment, but now we're here."

"Well, you'll just have to go back, right?" the boy asked.

I nodded.

He walked over to a door and started picking the lock. He seemed rushed, his hand shaky. I looked at the knife, noticing the words engraved on it. A police officer called after us as we unlocked the door. We freed ourselves in relief.

The officer was chasing after us when Santa got into the chase. He stopped the police officer. The song Santa started ended with the sun beaming brightly through the window. All the flights were back on as Santa ran over to us.

"Did you get 'em?" Santa asked. "The batteries."

"Yeah. Way to go, (Y/n)," Santa said.

"Oh, yeah, Santa, this is..." I trailed off, forgetting that I didn't know his name.

"It's Doug," the boy said.

"Pierce," Santa added, putting the Time Twister in his back pocket.

"That's right," Doug nodded.