38

After I collected myself enough to stop crying, I turned towards Ashton, who was on his phone, typing away.

I was still very beaten up about the fact I knew nothing about this situation. I didn't know what had happened today. All I knew was I had woken up alone and Luke was gone, He was gone and I had gotten a phone call from the hospital saying he was here.

I found myself becoming more and more frustrated as no one came to tell us anything. Finally I stood to my feet, walking towards the reception area.

"Excuse me?" I said quickly, hoping to grab the receptionists attention. The woman glanced up at me through her glasses, waiting for me to speak.

"Is there someone who could tell me what happened?" I questioned, biting my lip as I scanned the older woman's face. I waited for her to respond, when she didn't say anything I continued. "It's just that we've been waiting for nearly an hour, and my friend and I have no idea what's going on."

The woman let out a sigh, tapping her pen against the counter. "I believe the police are still here, if you'd like to talk with them." The woman raised her hand, waving towards a hallway. I glanced down it to find two police officers standing, talking amongst themselves. I nod my head, heading the opposite way and nearing Ashton.

"Hey Ash," the man with honey colored eyes glances up at me. "Hmm?" He hums.

"Would you come with me to talk to the police over there." I point towards the hallway, hoping he'll say yes. It's not that I can't do it on my own, I'd just prefer not to. Ashton stands to his feet, towering over me.

"Let's go then." I trail behind him as we approached the officers, unsure of what to even say. Once we near the two of them, I clear my throat.

The taller police officer looks at me first, then the shorter one. "Oh dear, are you lost?" The tall one says and I scoff. "No sir, I'm not lost. I'm an adult." I groan mentally.

Before the officer can say anything else, I interject. "I was wondering if you could tell me about a man that was brought in today?" I meet the shorter cops eyes, hoping one of the two officers will respond.

"What patient are you asking about?" the shorter officer raises an eyebrow. Before I can speak Ashton opens his own mouth, "Lucas, Lucas Hemmings." I peek up at the blonde for a moment before glancing back at the police officers.

I hear the tall officer mumble something before speaking directly to myself and Ashton.

"There was a head on collision on the highway and your friend was messed up pretty bad. I'm sure he's still in the operating room." The officer pauses, "I can't say too much, we're still investigating exactly what happened."

My heart sank at his words. Knowing what had happened didn't make things any easier, and if definitely didn't make waiting any easier. I wondered where Luke was going when he had left this morning, I wondered why he'd gotten up early in the first place. My mind drifted back to last week, when I finally was able to meet the rest of his friends. It was an amazing night, and the rest of the week was lovely as well. Unlike last week, this week brought pain, and confusion.

My mind wandered to school, and my classes. I was supposed to go back soon as break was nearly over, but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to do anything in this moment. It seemed like I couldn't even move. My body slummed into the chair I was sitting in, resting lazily. My mind was clouded with thoughts, coming from ever which way. When I tried to grab onto a single one, it didn't seem to work, as I would begin to spiral. Ashton and I sat in silence for a while, the noises made from hospital machines and other people were the only things filling the room.

Finally, after what seemed like years, a man in a white surgeon coat approached the waiting area.

"Excuse me, I'm looking for the family of Lucas Hemmings." The man glanced around the small area. I quickly jumped up and Ashton quickly followed suit.

"Is he okay?" I pleaded with the surgeon, my eyes meeting his. I sucked in a breath, preparing myself for the worst as the man spoke.

"He's alive, currently he's in room 301." I let out a sigh of relief at this. "He's not conscious at the moment, he got out of surgery an hour ago. We had to repair his lung, which took some time. It was punctured by glass, that we assume was from the windsheild. He's also in a neck brace."

I was thankful to hear, those words. Luke was alive. He was alive and okay for the most part.

"The two of you can go see him if you'd like, but please be quick. He'll need quite a bit of rest to recover from this." The surgeon urges and I nod.

Soon enough, Ashton and I found ourselves standing in front of a door with a label reading '301'. I started at the door for a moment, mentally preparing myself for what I was about to see. Though my mother worked at a hospital, I never did well seeing patients, especially patients who were in pain.

"Is it okay if I go in alone?" I turned to Ashton, talking quickly as to not disturb anyone. His face held a kind smile, "Of course, I'll wait out here."

"Thank you." I started at the door for a moment longer. Finally I pushed opened the door, gasping at the sight in front of me.