25

TWO WEEKS LATER

knock, knock, knock.

"come in,"

"hey, Ward." i slipped into his study and stood by the door.

"ah, Juno. how can i help?" he put down the papers he was reading.

"um, well i was on my way up here and... someone's spray-painted your wall." i said awkwardly.

"what have they put?"

"...murderers," i twiddled my thumbs.

"oh. well thanks for telling me, Juno. i'll get someone on it."

i nodded and opened the door.

"we're leaving for the funeral in an hour, i think Rose got you something." Ward picked the papers up again.

i nodded once more and made my escape.

Rafe was in the shower when i got to his room.

i debated joining him.

things had been a bit off between us since Sarah was pronounced dead two weeks ago.

i sighed and walked into his closet, looking for whatever Rose had got me.

there were two suit-covers hanging on a separate rack, and i guessed they were for us.

i unzipped mine to find a little black dress that must reach to my middle thigh, and high, black red-bottoms.

i grinned to myself, stepping into the shoes so my feet wouldn't ache later.

i headed over to Rafe's dresser and sorted through my jewellery, ending up with a set of pearls he'd bought me last year.

i began my makeup as the water shut off.

Rafe padded through in a towel, making it hard for my jaw to stay shut.

"Juno," he said. "how long have you been here?"

"not long. ten minutes maybe."

"right," he disappeared into his closet.

i continued my makeup, going natural, but adding a dramatic flick of eyeliner, and red lipstick to compliment the shoes.

i wriggled out of the clothes i was already wearing, just as Rafe emerged from his closet.

he stopped short when he saw me, standing in my black underwear.

"fuck," he breathed.

fuck indeed.

the top of his shirt was unbuttoned and his tie hung loose round his neck.

his hair was still dripping slowly, but he made no attempt to dry it.

he stared at me, and i stared at him.

he didn't move, so i did.

my shoes made us almost eye to eye, and he only looked slightly down at me.

i gingerly reached out and buttoned his shirt up, never breaking eye contact, then, when he made no protest, began on his tie.

"you never could tie your own tie," i looked up.

"i can," he looked at my mouth. "i just prefer you doing it for me."

he smirked at me.

i knew that smile.

"there's no time," i hissed. "Wheezie is two doors down!"

he rolled his eyes and grabbed my waist, pulling me even closer.