55

our scene was perfectly laid out.

Rafe and i were smashing a few more ornaments as Kie watched us, arms folded.

"hurry up already," she hissed.

i turned and pretended to throw a vase at her.

she flinched before flipping me off as i scoffed.

"we're done." Rafe surveyed out handiwork.

we'd torn half of the room apart.

"hide then," he told us.

Kie and i crawled beneath the bed, and i thought back to the summer i'd spent with the Pogues, stargazing on the hammocks with her.

Rafe broke my thoughts apart by throwing a final glass dish at the door, yelling as it smashed.

"hey," the guard outside called. "whatcha do?"

silence answered him.

i heard the key click in the lock and Rafe bolted into the bathroom as the door opened.

i watched the guard's feet move around the room.

he made his way to the bathroom where we'd managed to construct a shape that vaguely resembled a body.

"what be this?" he asked himself, walking into the bathroom.

in a flash, Rafe slammed the door into the guard, catching him by surprise and knocking him to the ground.

he punched the man and smashed another vase against his head, grabbing his gun.

"shit!" Rafe glanced at his bleeding hand.

the man was slumped on the floor.

Kie and i wriggled out from our hiding place and i took a step towards Rafe.

"don't move!" Kie yelled, at who, i had no idea.

"you've made a huge mistake." the guard held a hand to his bleeding temple. "you'll regret this."

"give me your phone." was Rafe's reply.

the guard handed it over without a fuss.

"stop moving." he ordered as the man groaned. "don't make a sound."

Rafe exited the bathroom, pulling the door shut behind him and locking it from the outside.

i bit my lip, not wanting to leave the man in there while he bled, but Rafe was already on the move.

"this way, come on." he beckoned us out of the room and towards the stairs.

we crept down them, keeping an eye out for more guards.

"hey, wait." Kie whispered. "let me see the phone."

"why?" i hissed.

"do i need a reason?"

"yes," i folded my arms. "you're probably gonna call the cops, or your stupid Pogue friends."

"i'm not doing either of those things. just let me have it."

i glanced at Rafe, who shrugged and handed it over. "your funeral if you do."

she peered at the screen.

"you ready?" he asked me.

i nodded.

we tiptoed past a big window.

outside stood three guards.

Rafe cursed but luckily they all had their backs to us. "okay, this way."