C H A P T E R 2 7

— • —

Chapter 27: Ghost Town, Part 1

"Tsk! Get off me; you stink!" Bai Lan pushed Lan Yang away. Liu Xiao was nearly crushed by the two quarreling beside him, while Chen Yi and Shan Ling in front were comfortably seated, with Shan Ling recounting her absurd tales.

"Ah, I'm sorry, I'm sorry," he apologized for the sixteenth time to Shi Xuan beside him. Due to being frequently compressed by Bai Lan, his body is often pressed against Shi Xuan, sometimes even brushing his cheeks accidentally. Liu Xiao felt a mix of embarrassment and apology, yet Shi Xuan remained silent without complaint.

"There's no space! Move away!" Lan Yang growled, shoving Bai Lan aside. Once again, Liu Xiao was squeezed, on the verge of tears. He sighed and gently nudged Bai Lan's back. "Hey, calm down. We must share this carriage to avoid drawing attention upon our arrival at the ghost town," Liu Xiao reasoned.

"Lan Yang, sit next to the coachman!" Bai Lan commanded. "Why should I? You go sit there!" Lan Yang retorted. Liu Xiao massaged his temples, picturing a cat and dog tussling beside him. Resigning himself to their antics, he began nibbling on biscuits from the table.

After reporting to the floating palace owner and other peak masters in the great hall, they were promptly dispatched to the ghost town upon discovering the demon cult's base. To blend in with the town's coarse and dubious denizens, they donned commoner attire and shared a carriage to remain inconspicuous and maintain a low profile.

Chen Yi silenced Shan Ling's incessant chatter momentarily to pose a question: "Once we arrive, what's our plan? Merely wandering around the ghost town could arouse suspicion and provoke an ambush from the demon cult."

Liu Xiao paused to consider, then glanced at his dimension ring, sparking an idea. "How about selling medicine? My dimension ring is filled with numerous pills," he proposed. Bai Lan gave him a disapproving look and quickly retorted, "No. Pills are difficult to produce." Undeterred, Liu Xiao retrieved a bottle of pills and presented it to him. "These are merely appetite-enhancing pills since I often feel hungry. I can channel my spiritual qi into them, making everyone believe they are high-grade pills. What do you think?" Liu Xiao offered.

The others remained silent, offering no objections, prompting Liu Xiao to smile and return the bottle to his ring. Chen Yi took a sip of her tea, arching an eyebrow inquisitively. "Who's going to sell these? I'm not interested in doing it." Shan Ling, Lan Yang, and Bai Lan also expressed their refusal by shaking their heads. Both Liu Xiao and Shi Xuan appeared unfazed. With a sigh, Liu Xiao conceded, "Well, since this was my idea, I'll take on the task of selling them myself."

"I'll assist Gege," chimed in Shi Xuan from beside him. Liu Xiao dismissed the offer with a shake of his head. "No, you should covertly investigate the demon cult since you're familiar with their location. The four of them will guard me discreetly and scout out the area." They adhered to this strategy until they reached the ghost town.

The ghost town had once been a pleasant and desirable place to live. However, after being ravaged by droughts, floods, and landslides, which led to its gradual abandonment by residents, it transformed into a desolate town. The demon cult leader had likely discovered this forsaken town and established it as their stronghold.

Upon their arrival, they anticipated encountering an ominous and silent town brimming with malevolence. Contrary to expectations, it resembled a black market—only more chaotic. The town was bustling with people; houses and buildings were scattered throughout; red lanterns adorned the streets; and the air was thick with the odors of tobacco and liquor.