Chapter 34: Apologies

During the next few days of my suspension, I had gone over my trip to the nightclub several times, Grandpa grilling me for details in each sit-down. My guardian seemed very interested in the fact that the detectives had shown up at the club while I was there. The running theory between us now was that Mr. Burke had been working for Alpheus, who had a connection to the club through Caron, the supposed owner of the Crescent Club. We were thinking the Detectives stumbled upon this connection and went to the club that night to check up on their lead. I liked that idea a lot more than the theory that the cops were following me.

During my time away from school I was confined to the farmhouse. Every night either Azar or Maayan would dutifully bring me my homework assignments so I could stay caught up. Grandfather was out working the fields, never straying too far so as to keep an eye on me. After my scare at the club, I was grateful to see him pop in almost every hour to make sure I was still okay. Things had been awkward between myself and Casimir after the whole nightclub incident. Since the morning he had yelled at me we hadn't spoken more than a few words to each other, the young man retreating or avoiding me when at all possible. This only made me more upset the longer it dragged on and by the fourth day, I was beginning to think we would never get back to how we were. I found I had begun to miss his company, when not even a month ago, I didn't even know the guy.

Since I would be going back to school this Friday and I needed to depend on Casimir for protection, I felt it was time we buried the hatchet. I was also super curious to figure out why his eyes had turned red when he was upset.

Maybe don't lead with that thought Diana, I muttered to myself.

I was lingering inside the safety of the mudroom, staring out the window to spy on Casimir and Azar who had just returned from school. The pair were sitting on the steps of the back porch, deep in conversation. I didn't want to disturb them so I opted to lurk instead. After watching them for a few minutes I was getting antsy so I bit the bullet and decided to go outside and apologize. Before leaving I threw a scarf around my neck to help keep warm as November was fast approaching. I was amazed at how few layers the boys were wearing in this chilly autumn weather. All conversation halted as I stepped outside and walked over toward them. They watched me carefully but I saw Casimir cast his gaze down, turning away from me. I wished desperately that I could sense his emotions. I had grown too dependent on my talent.

"Hey," Azar said, greeting me first.

"Hey," I replied back, glancing nervously down at Casimir. "How was school?"

"Boring," the Fire Elemental grunted, taking a drag from his okashi. A small sliver of smoke went up into the air and I sniffed it curiously. It smelled like lemons. "How's the life of a jailbird?" he asked.

"Really boring," I admitted. I found that even with all the free time in the world I lacked the motivation and inspiration to paint or do much of anything else. Instead, I spent my time at home imagining all the horrible things the Dark King wanted to do with me and my cursed blood. There was a long silence as I attempted to gather the courage to begin my speech. The longer I hesitated the more I began to sweat, growing even more nervous with each passing moment. Azar had been glancing between the two of us until he finally couldn't take the silence anymore.

"You two are impossible! You are like children," he said, in a disapproving tone. Azar followed his outburst with a curse in Terrarish. Both Casimir and I stiffened at his words. The Fire Elemental's glare deepened as he stood up, turning so he could face both of us before continuing his rant. "Kaw sit weppe ik chu, tsou ikom tsěm siets appik wow tsou yek tsě ngong fayau," Azar lectured. I quickly realized he was aiming his anger at Casimir, gesturing strongly with his hands and looking down at the young man. This was the most I had ever heard Azar speak and I was a little upset that I couldn't understand anything he was saying. Casimir seemed ashamed, hanging his head slightly.