Nuptialem

𝕴 woke up in pain—feeling massive heart palpitations in my chest

𝕴 woke up in pain—feeling massive heart palpitations in my chest. No matter how many doses of anxiety medication I took, they back came harder. I brushed my hair back off my heated face, rolled over in the bed, my sleepy gaze finding my laptop five inches away from my face. Rolling over I checked the time on my phone. One in the morning and I had a message from Fariha.

She called me as soon as I replied, her face appearing tanned and relaxed. "Can you hear me?"

"I can hear you," I connected my AirPods and gave her a careful once over. "You look happy and relaxed," I said, a smile tugging at my lips.

"Riaan is a Godsend. That's all I'm going to say," a blush stained my cheeks and I coughed, remembering my own little moment. "Oh come on, we're adults now. I honestly think you've made a mistake with the no intimacy clause."

"I sent you the contract so you could look at the loopholes, not tell me about my failings."

"That is a loophole. It's a very big loophole. You have no idea what you're missing out on."

"I don't want to know."

"You never told me how this came about. It's a bit sudden."

I admitted. "We kind of um—"

"You kind of um, what?"

Telling her about the will wasn't an option so I decided to take the cowards route. "We had an understanding, that's it."

"And it has nothing to do with the fact that you're the first woman who's actually seen him in years?"

"That's not true."

"His mother and sister don't count."

"Did you know they were twins?"

"No, she always seemed so much younger than him."

"She's older, by two minutes. It's or it was," I amended thinking about their deceased older brother. "Altamash, Zeenia, Taimoor and then Azaan."

"That's a lot of kids," her laugh prompted a gentle one out of me.

"Funnily, she said the same thing. She and Mama hit it off when she came to our house on Friday."

"Did not expect that. Did she talk to you?"

"Not much. She didn't have the time. Mama kept pestering her about the details of the wedding and she had to leave to make sure everything was right on schedule," I frowned and slid under my blanket, replaying everything that had happened over the past few days. "We're going to finalize the dress on Friday."

"Ugh, I'm going to miss that, that's when I fly in."

"I'm just glad you're making it back in time. It would have been strange without you."

"I can't believe you're doing this. It's ballsy, I'll admit that. But as your lawyer, I have to ask, will it be worth it? Was it worth pissing Bibi off?"