Saltare

𝕯ark thick blood coated my hands

Then I scented it, the tinted copper that was coming from the body in my hands.

It always started with him covered in blood.

Ghazanfar.

"You killed me," he spoke, his voice was deep, but there was a softness to it that I'd never heard before. The brokenness I would have never associated with him.

I bit the inside of my cheeks so I wouldn't make a noise.

"You ripped our family apart. How could you do that Daania?" I whirled around to see my father, sitting next to his nephew, his face ashen and white, his clothes splattered and stained with red, his eyes filled with anguish. The misery on their faces was heartbreaking, the pain so raw I could taste it. I jumped back like my skin was on fire, anxiety etched into my veins. I looked at their faces, and for a second, saw my own.

"I'm trying to save you, Baba," I told him, trying to get out of his reach. Those eyes I loved so much flashed with pain, and guilt settled in my gut.

His voice sounded raw like he couldn't breathe."Are you? Are you saving us? Or are you saving you?"

Uncertainty crawled down my skin. It sunk its claws deep into my pores. I inhaled it and exhaled it all. Panic ripped my mouth open on a scream, and the sound vanished swallowed by the darkness. I jerked awake in complete darkness, startled and disoriented, my eyes adjusting to the dark, no longer wandering aimlessly, trying to latch on to some light. I recognized the room I was in and immediately I took a second to calm down and then put a hand to my heart, making sure the beat had normalized. Turning to my right, I already knew what I would see outside of the window. Big expansive grounds wrapped in the twilight without a soul in sight.

Huffing out a breath, my body collapsed onto the mattress. I could hear the thumping of my heart. It was beating wildly. I drew a long breath, wincing when bits and pieces of a dark dream filtered into my mind.

Why was this happening to me? Was I being punished? Was my brain sending out a warning? I tried to recall the dream but came up empty. I had so much confusion inside of me, and I couldn't understand how to deal with it. My body started to tremble violently, my teeth chattering from the harsh coldness and freezing air around me while thousands of emotions worked to tear me apart, bringing back the hopelessness and the loneliness with no way of escape.

My mind had been my greatest ally and my greatest enemy ever since I could remember. In times of great distress, it acted up in unusual ways.

I brought my leg up to my chest, and the movement caused the covers to move on me, fighting the chill. Holding one of the many pillows close to my chest needing something to hold onto, I cursed the thought process that had convinced me to leave my anxiety pills at Mughal House. There was no way I could ask anyone to grab me some without having them alert or notify Taimoor.