Amor Gignit Amorem

❞𝖂ell, that takes care of that," Badar's voice was arctic

❞𝖂ell, that takes care of that," Badar's voice was arctic. The scariest I'd ever heard him sound. "Sad that it had to happen this way."

Before I could say anything, Scorpio aimed at his leg and shot. Blood spluttered from Badar's kneecap and he gazed at us in shock.

"There's a security camera over the door," I said. "Even if I wanted to-which I don't-I can't save you. No one will."

"Security," Zeenia ordered them to move, her hand tight on my waist, face lined with grief.

Badar's eyes flicked to me before returning to her. "I overestimated you. You're just like her. Just like them."

"You underestimated me Badar-" as security moved toward him, he took a step backward and raised his hands, silently warning them to keep their distance.

His tone was cautious as he gauged my reaction. "I refuse to be put in a box. I will not be known as some nameless madman who went on a murder spree-" he stood tall, unashamed as he said this. "Give me what you owe me, or else-"

"Or else what?" Zeenia taunted, clicking her fingers to get the security team to move. "Taimoor didn't hit the ground. He's still alive. Somewhere," rage and pride made her voice shake violently.

He stiffened, and his jaw set as if this new information had slapped him.

"Hanging on but not for long. The rain's going to finish the job sooner or later," Zeenia and I froze in place. Everything around us decelerated to a stop, and the world focused on Badar. It was cold outside, but Badar's voice was so chilling, it made me shiver. The glaciers in his eyes flash boiled, but his voice was eerily calm and quiet. "You won't take me. None of you will."

His chest heaved as he backed up against the railing, and his gaze frantically darted away. The security team closed in despite his many threats, unfazed. He hadn't expected this reaction. Like me, he was trembling, but his was with a different emotion.

The storm tonight was unlike anything the city had ever seen. The rain was an unending torrent that flooded the streets, with wind strong enough to knock out power lines and topple a man.

Horrified surprise went through Badar's face as his foot slipped and he tipped backward.

Unlike Taimoor, Badar was too stunned to make a sound, and although his hands clawed at the air, he didn't find anything to grab on to. There was nothing to save him.

I stood paralyzed as his legs went up to the sky and his body spilled over the side, slipping toward the earth.

And then he was gone, vanished over the edge of the building.