Ex Nihilo Nihil Fit

𝕬s if reacting on instinct alone, I was spun around in Taimoor's arms, his body a protective wall between me and our would-be assailant

𝕬s if reacting on instinct alone, I was spun around in Taimoor's arms, his body a protective wall between me and our would-be assailant. I was shaking with adrenaline, but he was warm and solid, and I clung to him with relief. He placed his hand on my waist while letting out a slow sigh. I knew his mind well enough to know that he was thinking of all the variables, planning all of the different scenarios to get us out of this situation.

Three life-threatening situations in six months must be some kind of record.

I brushed my fingers against his forearm trying to get control of my erratic breathing, staving off the oncoming anxiety attack. He squeezed me tight, his fingers providing a silver of reassurance as he turned his head and lobbed his words over his shoulder toward the madman wielding the gun.

"What are you doing? Put that away!"

Sound faded out as my gaze focused on Badar. Where had the gun come from? And how had he passed the security check?

Badar's eyes were wild with madness.

"My my my, it took you long enough."

"It was you. It was you all this time," I sucked in a breath, and my whole body went tight.

When he took a step toward me, Taimoor moved us back, his back to me, hands out in front, trying to keep him calm. "What's happening here Badar?"

"Why? Why are you doing this? What-" I couldn't formulate the words, couldn't even string the words together.

"Always asking questions, I'm glad Ghazanfar didn't marry you, Daania. That oaf wouldn't have kept up with your nature," his lips slanted into a perplexed-looking smile, gaze flitting between the gun in his hand and my face.

"How do you know Ghazanfar?" my head cocked right along with my attitude. What was wrong with these men?

Badar chuckled, the sound grating on my nerves.

"How do I not know Ghazanfar? We went to the same school. We grew up together."

There was no doubt in my mind, with the way he looked at me, that he knew about my past- my family. He wasn't lying. There was vehemence in his eyes but also something else. Something I couldn't put my finger on. Something that was so faint, I was more inclined to believe I was imagining it.

"Does he know you're the one-?" I needed to hear it. I needed to hear that he was the one- the one behind all of this.

"Doesn't have a clue. He's been dealing with my associate. It was interesting to see him try and approach me after a visit to your house, no doubt to try and barter for protection. And look at you," he whistled appreciatively. "Having him followed."

"You knew-" Taimoor gritted out, tilting his head, his eyes narrowing. Badar clucked his tongue, his chest puffing out.

"Of course, I knew. It's my job to know."